Npip?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 13, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Does it have anything to do with showing? What does it mean? Does it cost money? (sorry if I sound stupid)

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:National Poultry Improvement Plan, It only means that the breeder / showman participates in the program by having his / her birds tested and flock certified as being both typhoid and Pollorum clean on an annual basis.

The Fee here in Oklahoma is $5 for teh certificate testing is free if preformed by the state agriculture dept., or we can use independent testers that charge fees. Other states programs are different and you will need to check your states regulations and fees.
    As for testing and showing this was discussed at length on another thread recently, it is required in this area to provide either a copy of the test report or a copy of the flock certificate. Other regions are different.

3. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    The NPIP is s national program for those who have their flocks monitored on a monthly schedule. The flocks are tested & given a state id number showing that the birds are regularly tested a clear for certain diseases. To show, every state has a different disease that they require the birds to be negative for. Just because your flock was tested once or twice, DOES NOT mean that you have a certified NPIP flock, it just means that you have had your birds tested and at that time they were negative. You can go to the link below & see if those NPIP flocks by state. Alot of people are confused about this program, they say their birds are NPIP, or that they were tested, and they think that they are in the monitoring program but are not. To know for sure you need to check the website, and they will have a number that starts with a state id, for example my number is MD-507, because I have a monitored flock.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/

4. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:National Poultry Improvement Plan, It only means that the breeder / showman participates in the program by having his / her birds tested and flock certified as being both typhoid and Pollorum clean on an annual basis.

The Fee here in Oklahoma is $5 for teh certificate testing is free if preformed by the state agriculture dept., or we can use independent testers that charge fees. Other states programs are different and you will need to check your states regulations and fees.
    As for testing and showing this was discussed at length on another thread recently, it is required in this area to provide either a copy of the test report or a copy of the flock certificate. Other regions are different.

AI is a 90 day testing schedule ( every 90 days) Pollorum/Typhoid is annual for the entire flock.

5. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    And amazingly Hawaii does not participate with the NPIP program. Hawaii is so picky about what can get sent in and yet they do not participate in the most basic health monitoring program. [​IMG]
    Just found this out today so still amazed! lol

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    NPIP varies WIDELY from one state to another. In some states it is absolutely free; in others it is VERY expensive. While the national program offers AI, it is not a part of most states' programs; typhoid/pullorum testing is the only thing that is universal. In some states getting NPIP certification is quite easy; in others it is nightmarishly difficult. Some states use only state employees for testing; others certify any number of private individuals for testing; some do both.

7. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    The last time I check (its been a few years, it was last time I had birds) testing was free, but the person whos birds were getting tested had to provide the Antigen. The testing may be free, but that Antigen isnt. Its pretty expensive, was $80 then, sure its much more now.

Edit: Just checked MCM and a bottle of Antigen is $127.05. Im sure you can find it other places too, maybe for less. Just pulled a quick reference cause I knew they had it.

~Casey

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by