1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nubian Goats stud fee

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hollow Point, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Hollow Point

Hollow Point Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    SW Louisiana
    My daughter has a Nubian Goat buck that has won grand champion and other titles for 4H and other shows. A woman from the same show circuit wants to breed our buck with one of her does and pay us a stud fee. Any ideas on a stud fee price? Don't want to just give it away, but also don't want to overdue the price.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    What are his lines? Is he tested CAE/Bru tested clean? Parasite resistant, structually correct? How was his dam's udder?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd look on your local craigslist or such and see what comparable bucks are standing for in your area.

4. Hollow Point

Dec 28, 2012
    SW Louisiana

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No idea whatsoever as to stud fee, but good luck at the show. Give us an update on how he does.

6. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I would go with around $40.

7. Hollow Point

Dec 28, 2012
    SW Louisiana
    Well the female won reserve champion at state finals. She won $250.00.[​IMG]

8. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Nubians are seasonal breeders, so you are nearing the end of breeding season now. You may have to do a stud fee this coming fall/winter around $40 for a hand breeding or a little less to just have him run with her with a period of time.

9. Hollow Point

Dec 28, 2012
    SW Louisiana
    Thanks someone offered us $100.00 bucks to put him with their doe when she.comes in heat. They will bring her anf pick her up in one month. I pay the feed so we both agree we both come out even....thanjs

10. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Even if you know this person, I would work up a contract in the event that there are problems.

What if their doe becomes sick? What if she doesn't get bred?

Include that in your contract as a disclosure to prevent any issues down the road with "he said/she said".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by