Nubies Raising Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JessicaL, Aug 10, 2014.

1. JessicaL

JessicaL New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Hello!

I have been using this site since my husband and I purchased chicks in June. We have been learning new things in every step. I decided to finally join because many questions are being raised as to our chickens permanent home.

We have six chickens (I think they are pullets right now?). Depending on how we do with these, we will get more in the spring for a total of around 12 or so.

Currently, our coup is attached to our house. The dimensions are 12' x 3' with a feeder box, 6' x 6" and a nesting box that is two layers, 6 on top and 6 on the bottom. We just decided to let our chickens free range.

Is our coop to narrow?
    Will it work for them in the winter?
    We get quite a bit of snow.

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Can you upload a picture of the coop? I'd be able to help if I could see it:)

3. JessicaL

JessicaL New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

The rest of the left wall is missing and we need to put in some roosts higher than the nesting boxes. In the back you can sort of see we put on in but it's too low and I have only seen one use it at a time.

4. chickenhound

chickenhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    You might just make it with 6 birds but I think that 12 would be pushing the envelope. And by the way, you don't need all those nesting boxes for 6 hens. One or two is sufficient. And don't put your roosts too high unless you a have chicken ladder or something that they can climb up on. They can injure themselves jumping down.
    Good luck.[​IMG].

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. The recommended coop floor space is 4 sq. ft. per bird (minimum). That means for 6 birds, you need at least 24 sq. ft.of floor space, and you have 36 sq. ft., so you are okay with your current number. However, if you expand you flock to 12 birds, you will need a minimum of 48 sq. ft. of floor space (again, more would be better), so you will need to enlarge your coop. Also, as chickenhound suggested, for 6 hens, you only need two nest boxes. Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Agree with everyone else. You can squeeze 6 chickens in there, but no way 12. Too many nesting boxes, and lower roosting poles.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  8. JessicaL

JessicaL New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Thank you for the input. The nesting boxes were free from a friend which is why we have them. I didn't know we would only need a few though.

9. chickenhound

chickenhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Don't feel bad. When I first started getting serious about raising chickens last spring, I had 12 birds and my neighbor gave me a 10 compartment nesting box setup that had been sitting in the woods for 15 or more years. It was a bit overkill at the time but we now have 41 hens in that coop and it is not uncommon to see all nesting boxes occupied. Sometimes with more than one bird!!! Have fun...that's what it is all about.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by