Nugget and Pudster VS Hawk

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
14 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
I had a very rude awakening this morning, the hens were going nuts and the roosters were all crowing and sounding the alarm. I jumped up and was grabbing clothes, I was in my robe still. About the time I left my bedroom I heard a cat scream outside and the birds really went nuts. The ducks were quacking and under bushes when I ran out and in the middle of the yard was Nugget, Pudster, and a huge Red-Tailed Hawk. Nugget was flogging, Pudster was wrestling and screaming, the Hawk was fighting for it's life, Blue the head Roo was on the porch screaming with the hens!

When I came out the door yelling it startled the whole bunch and the hawk was able to fly away. Nugget lost some feathers but is ok, Pudster has stitches where the hawk tried to evicerate him. He only has 5 stitches but he has a punture that worries me more since that can't be closed up. Puddy is taking it well but he is in a kennel outside because he can't handle being in the house, he'd have to be drugged most of the time. The vet says he'll be ok though.

First hawk trouble I've had, and now I think I know where all the dead doves have been coming from. I couldn't figure out what was happening, they are just laying dead in the yard everywhere. Hopefully he will choose other hunting grounds now.

Best of luck. LOL at the head roo sreaming with the hens. My head roo did that when a hen with a week old chick did a beat down on a hawk trying to eat her baby. Hope you don't have any further problems with them, I haven't had a hawk issue since the hen did her broody beat down a few years back!

Oh my goodness! I'm glad all your birds are ok. I'm hoping to get me a Roo once the weather warms up a bit. Lastnight it was 3 degrees here...

LOL So much for the big tough head Roo!

I heard a ruckus outside yesterday . I got out just in time to see a hawk fly off . I got worried because I couldn't see any chickens . They were all 60 under one little bush

First, I'm glad Nugget lost only a few feathers and that Puddy will heal, (just let the hole stay open so it can drain if needed).

Second, you weren't wearing a new set of bunny slippers, were you? That could be dangerous around a hawk!

The bunny's retired after the Pyr debacle...... lol! I haven't seen a sign of the hawk again though, but I'm not holding my breath. He's been after the dove and quail in my area I'm sure. We have a ton of Gambel quail this year, fat suckers too.

lol...that boy is there again.

So glad they will all be fine in the end.

You did it again.

Jena.

Back
Top Bottom