Number of birds needed to start breed in the US?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hennypen, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    How many hens and roosters would it take to import a new breed into the US?

1) assuming there won't be anymore imported

2) assuming there will be a 2nd importation

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It only takes 1 hen & 1 roo to start. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

If I were bringing in a new breed I would want 12 hens and 4 roosters.

4. Hennypen

Hennypen Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:That is a little pricey.

But, could it successfully be done in stages to spread the cost out?

5. Camelot Farms

Sure it could. [​IMG]

But if you brought birds in 4 times, you would have 4 sets of paper work, 4 x's the work, 4 x's the stress... etc.

6. Hennypen

Hennypen Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:Just trying to make it doable. Husband would never go for that much expense on chickens. lol And I don't know that there would be that many quality birds (at least the quality I'd want) available at the same time. Still in the planning stages. [​IMG]

7. Camelot Farms

I'll be watching to see how you are making out with your project! [​IMG]

8. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    It would depend on how often. The chicken lays too. If you would get a breed that lays maybe one egg a week, then you wouldn't be able to hatch many so you would need more hens. If the breed lays eggs almost everyday, get a pair and hatch every egg layed. In general, I would order a trio and hatch like crazy. It's too expensive to buy a lot.

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    Maybe you could find someone to go in with you. I am looking into Dorkings and am not finding the names of breeders in the US although I know that they are more common in Europe. Maybe find someone to help or even get a different breed to bring over at the same time? If you pick Dorkings let me know!

10. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Crossing the Road

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    i agree that you would probably only need a couple, at least at first. also like someone said, maybe find someone to go into it with you. good luck with your new project and please let us know what you decide to do and keep us updated! i think its a great idea, good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by