1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Number of nest boxes for 6 hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shannacrew, Feb 24, 2013.

1. shannacrew

shannacrew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm currently building the coop and run for our baby chicks. How many nest boxes will I need for our 6 (med-large breed) hens? Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd go with two. Most of them will use th esame one, but I like the flexibility a second one gives you. Certainly no more than two though.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i agree 2 is probably a good number. You could do 3 but like ridgerunner said they'll prob all try to hog one box.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I"d go with 2, as said. I believe if my memory recalls right, 1 box for every 4 hens? is the general rule of thumb.

5. shannacrew

shannacrew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks for the replies! I will take your advice and go with two. I can always add another on top later if needed.

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles

I have six hens and 2 boxes and they only lay in 1 of them.

7. Rainey Ranch

Rainey Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Florida
    About 2-4, 2 for the amout you have, put if you plan on getting more i would put in 4.. 4-6 hens per 1 nesting box. but hens seem to like to use the same box.

8. We all love our chickens. But they are neurotic, & they will likely only use 1 nest box. They will wait for that special one even if more are provided.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Each chicken is different and each flock has its own dynamics. I’ve seen three hens crowded into one nest at the same time with a fourth hen pacing, waiting for room to get in. There were two empty nests available.

I currently have 11 hens laying with three nests available. Most eggs are usually in one nest but the other two always have a few. Most of my hens will lay their egg in the same nest every day, but occasionally I find one that is using a nest other than her regular nest.

I’ve had hens that are nest hogs. Most hens are willing to share but one would spend three hours on a nest while she was laying and would not allow any other hen to join her during that time. When a hen goes broody, some will welcome other hens in to lay with her while others will defend their nests. Each chicken is different.

I think you are making the right decision. Two should be plenty for six hens but you have the ability to add another if you see a need. You have the flexibility to handle whatever happens.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by