number of pullets to order

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coralanna, Jan 23, 2011.

1. coralanna

coralanna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    my coup is 20 ft by 15 ft total 300 sq ft. The outside run is 27 by 20 ft so that would make 540 sq ft outside. I live on the shores of Georgian bay and get an average of 20 ft of snow each winter so the outside run is not used in the winter. I will be getting red sex links pullets. now for the question. what would the maximum pullets will this coup hold. It`s 8 ft high inside too so lots of room, insulated and has windows with screens and top vents. I`m not going to order them all at once but wanted to get pullets and chicks to raise and add to the flock later. so how many can this coup hold.

Thanks for your info.

Alan

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I go by the smaller (proportionally) area, so going by your outside space, I'd say a maximum of 54 birds. This would give a little more than the minimum general guideline of 4 sq. ft of indoor space per bird, which would be beneficial come winter time w/heavy snows. Of course everyone would agree that MORE space (meaning less birds) is always better.

It's smart that you're not getting them all at once. Maybe try next winter (this springs chicks/pullets) with a smaller flock (25-30) so that you can see how they handle it, and judge from there how many to add.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My barn is divided in half. The chickens get the east half which is about the size of your coop. I have kept as many as 30-40 hens in that space, but I do not recommend it. Our winters, like yours, are long and they simply cannot be outside in the deep snow. It is also zero or sub-zero (F) for months at night and only single digits (F) during the days. The hens spend 23+ hours a day inside the coup.

For 6 months of the year, you'd be fine with 40 hens, but in the winter? 24 hens, give or take, and still, they'll fight boredom and chicken politics being what it is, some squabbles and such. There just isn't a "run" outside from Dec 1 to Mar 1.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Fred's Hens :

24 hens, give or take, and still, they'll fight boredom and chicken politics being what it is, some squabbles and such.

I agree. I'd aim between 20 and 25 since they will be cooped up in the winter. It will also make keeping the area decently clean a lot easier. If you plan to process some, you could go quite a bit higher when the run is available, then cut back for winter days.​

5. coralanna

coralanna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Thank you for the great reply`s. each one was well thought out and great advice. I was planning on 25 pullets in the spring and also 15 cornish x in a seperate area and raising the meat birds twice through the summer months. Next year I was thinking off adding maybe 10 chicks per year and remove a few of the ones that don`t seem to lay well or are just a pain or aggressive. We won`t be having any roos so any that happen to get mixed in with the chicks will be turned into meat birds. It`s been years since we have had chickens so it should be lots of fun getting back into it.

Thanks again from the great white north.

Temps here now are -32 c -27 f

winds chill -40 and snowing. Just have to love the great white north.

Alan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by