Number one is being a meanie to the girls. Can he reform?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by they'reHISchickens, Oct 31, 2008.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    DH has 4 EE hens and 2 roos hatched in April. They live in a 4x8 house in a 10x30 pen. Number one roo has begun confining his harem and # 2 in the house all day. He roams the pen, but no one else is allowed outside. Everytime I see the girls, they are on the roosts.
    He isn't mean to humans ( Yet?). He's got gorgeous colors and I wanted to keep him to father young ones, but i need contented hens to lay eggs!
    Any reformation hints or do we eat Number 1 and let Number 2 have the girls. ( He's gorgeous too, but not as colorful)
    thanks!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    they'reHISchickens :

DH has 4 EE hens and 2 roos hatched in April. They live in a 4x8 house in a 10x30 pen. Number one roo has begun confining his harem and # 2 in the house all day. He roams the pen, but no one else is allowed outside. Everytime I see the girls, they are on the roosts.
    He isn't mean to humans ( Yet?). He's got gorgeous colors and I wanted to keep him to father young ones, but i need contented hens to lay eggs!
    Any reformation hints or do we eat Number 1 and let Number 2 have the girls. ( He's gorgeous too, but not as colorful)
    thanks!

I would get red of the mean rooster becaus anyway you look at it 2 roosters are way too many for 4 hens.
    best luck.
    omran​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by