Numbered bandettes

crystal1957

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Tallahassee
Hi fellow chicken lovers. I am entering two roosters iand four hens in the county fair-roosters are Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock. McMurray Hatchery has numbered bandettes which I need, but I can't figure out what size for these roosters. Plus I only need 2 for these roosters. Size 11 or 12 is the biggest I think. Can someone help me? I guess I will have to go ahead and purchase the size for the hens but I can't judge for the roosters. It is expensive to buy these bags when I only need 4 for my hens (1 RIR, 1 Barred, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 Buff Opington), 2 roosters--1 RIR and 1 Barred. Any one have just a few?

Thanks!!

Since it's a small show, could you get away with "unofficial" bands? You could use a wide zip tie and write a number on it. You may have to seal the ink with tape or glue so it doesn't rub off. Ask the show officials if that would be acceptable; it would be an inexpensive solution!

Some companies were saying a particular size fit turkeys, pheasants, chickens. Was difficult for me to imagine that one size cold fit so many different birds. Also, one company says #11 for chicken hens, another company said #12. Gets confusing.

I will visit that website and also contact the chairperson for using homemade bands. Many thanks.

I don't know what state you are in, but in Arkansas, it has to be a permanent numbered band that is reflected on their npip papers. We can't use the bandettes for that purpose. I'm not sure about if you are npip certified.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some, I have lots.

smile.png

I have a ziploc bag with a bunch of bandettes for you sitting on my desk now, am going to print out a label and send them today. I am including four 9s, four 11s, and two 12s, just in case the cock birds have really thick legs.

And it's no problem, really. I have a whole drawer full of them collected over the years. All the ones I'm sending are new too (never been worn.)
lol.png

Should get to you in a couple of days, in plenty of time for your fair.

That's very nice of you, Pathfinders! I'm looking foreward to meeting you at the ON. I have lots of questions, and I'll be picking brains all weekend!

Back
Top Bottom