Numbers on pasture raising meat birds?(Broilers, Ducks, Turkey)

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Wasn't too sure how to title it. If I think of something better I'll change it.

Instead of creating multiple threads, I figure I would just have them all in this one. If you raise meat turkey, duck, or chickens, go ahead and pipe in. I would love to raise them all(one day...).

Give me the run down on raising meat birds. The cost to purchase, the cost to feed, the price you sell them at, and your profits. The time and effort spent on raising those birds(how many times you move the tractor a day/how you refill the waterers) and the customers demands(Do you have trouble selling out? Or can you not raise them fast enough?) Also, what size tractor you keep them in.

I am seriously considering building some tractors and pasturing some meaties. I like to do my research before I step neck deep in something and find myself in a hole.

I'm curious and want to know the numbers behind it all. I see people selling meaties on here for $2 a pound and it makes me wonder, is all that effort really worth it for those you raise several batches a year.

-Kim

Last edited:
It costs me about $6.50 to raise one of my meat birds. I sell them all at a flat $10 apiece. Buy your feed in bulk, and have it ground for you at the mill. This will save you about 1/2 your feed cost. I raise about 50 at a time in a 10x10 tractor, and this past batch, I sold 33 of them. I could have sold more, but I only sell preorders. I move the tractor at least two times each day, more if I have time. For 50 birds, you will have to fill a six gallon waterer at least once per day.

Quote:
Thanks Jaku. Can you elaborate more on your feed? I've considered buying in bulk in the past, just haven't brought myself to purchase a commercial feed bin. Do you use a commercial feed bin?

-Kim

Quote:
Thanks Jaku. Can you elaborate more on your feed? I've considered buying in bulk in the past, just haven't brought myself to purchase a commercial feed bin. Do you use a commercial feed bin?

-Kim

I'm not sure what you mean by "commercial feed bin."

These things, the smaller one is what I was considering getting and having bulk feed delivered( One day).

crowleyimage12.jpg

((NOT MY IMAGE!!))

Last edited:
Ah- no, I guess my definition of "bulk" is a bit smaller than yours.
lol.png
What I meant was to have them grind it for you specifically, rather than just picking up a few pre-bagged's at a time. It's a lot cheaper, and it's nice because you can actually SEE what's in it- chuncks of corn, soy, etc.

I get mine in 1000 lb increments, so I still use the bags from the mill. They will reuse bags, though, so I only pay for them one time, then just take the bags back next time. I would, however, like to find or build a small grain trailer, so I can eliminate the bags.

Guess I should do some research then on the local feed mills. The only places to really get feed around here sell them for $12-14 a 50lb bag. I go through it so quick even with my layers, that I couldn't imagine feeding those meaties.

So you just go to the local feedmill and ask for what?

-Kim

Quote:
Yup- mine sells it in 50 lb bags also, and it's about the same price you mentioned- $12-14/bag, which isn't much less than TSC. You have to ask them specifically for the broiler feed they grind and mix themselves. They should have a "recipe" for it on hand. If not, I'd say start a thread here, and you'll get about 20 different responses as to the recipe everyone feed their birds. My mill grinds corn, soy and a "poultry base" into my feed to give me a protein level of about 22%.

Well you first have to go to a mill that does indeed mill their own "bagged feed" some mills don't make it but infact distribute the feed. First ask them if they will special mill your feed... if you they say yes your in....

Most places if you buy in bulk (500 lbs) you will get the price break. I pay $9.80 a bag of 24% broiler feed that I get special milled.

Saves quite a bit on money, especially if your paying 12-13 bucks a bag.

Back
Top Bottom