Nurse or cull? What's wrong with my Roo? *Updated again*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RareBreedFancier, Aug 8, 2011.

1. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Dorking roo, 10mo approx. Feels thinner than he should be.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Sitting hunched up looking miserable. [​IMG] Has runny nose, eyes and gunk in throat. It smells yuck. [​IMG] I did have fowl pox run through the flock a few weeks ago, he looked unaffected then. Is this wet pox or something else?

EDIT: This morning I cleaned his eyes up and they aren't runny anything like yesterday. His nose doesn't seem to be much either. New development is stringy, milky stuff running down from his mouth and looking inside he has no chunks of stuff in this mouth/throat but this milky looking stuff coating everything.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Looked a bit 'off' last night but I attributed it to the lousy weather. Looked dreadful this morning and eyes were stuck closed with gunk. [​IMG]

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Nope.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Nope.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    It's been very wet and miserable, nearly 3" of rain in 2 days and cold.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Poultry finisher pellets, fresh veg. Rain has made the channel water very muddy but that's the only water available here. Has not eaten or drunk anything himself today.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Hasn't produced any since in isolation so don't know.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Suger water by mouth.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Honestly looks like I should cull him but I planned to breed him in 2 weeks. [​IMG] If I can nurse him through and he's not carrying something nasty I'd like too.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No pic, sorry.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Main pen was extremely muddy due to 3" of rain, now has shavings over it matching the coop to give dry footing. Roo is in isolation in a small dry pen.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    sorry cant help - thought id bump you - [​IMG] - hope your roo gets better [​IMG]

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    the foul odor is usually suggestive of coryza, I have never had this (knock on wood) but this is what I have read on here. If there was no foul odor I would say it could be ILT or Mycoplasma G. do some research on here for infectious coryza and see if it fits your roo's description. good luck!

4. RareBreedFancier

Nov 5, 2010
    Corzya is what I`m desperatly hopeing it isn`t. He doesn`t quite fit the symptoms I was reading about last night. Doesn`t quite fit Mycoplasma G either. I`ll look up ILT, didn`t look at that last night.

If it`s something nasty and I have to depopulate right before breeding season it will be devistating. [​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:sounds like it to me:( Im so sorry..I would put him down if it is due to the nature of how fast that disease spreads... Im sorry [​IMG]

6. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:sounds like it to me:( Im so sorry..I would put him down if it is due to the nature of how fast that disease spreads... Im sorry [​IMG]

Same Here... [​IMG]

7. RareBreedFancier

Nov 5, 2010
    Back from looking up ILT, doesn`t fit, no blood etc.

I was kinda hoping the smell was fowl pox with a secondary infection but I have a sinking feeling...

My poor roo doesn`t seem to have as much gunk in his throat as the Coryza pics but *sigh* maybe I`m just in denial.

I think I`ll be calling the vet when they open to see where I can have him autopsied, I need to know for sure what this is so I know what I need to do.

Is Mycoplasma G on the `cull the whole flock` list? I assume so. [​IMG]

Seems like whatever it is the whole flock needs to go. [​IMG] It`s even more awful because I have colected rare breeds to preserve and have promised people birds from this breeding season and there is no way I could risk contaminating their flocks too. [​IMG]

Thank you for the hugs and support. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  8. RareBreedFancier

Nov 5, 2010
    I've updated the first post. The milky stuff has me baffled, I don't recall reading about that anywhere last night. Suggestions?

Vet isn't open yet and we are fogged in now, can barely see 50 yards so I'll be waiting for it to lift a bit before I can take him anywhere.

9. RareBreedFancier

Nov 5, 2010
    Well I still don't know what it was. [​IMG]

DH said no to taking him to the vet so my poor roo has been laid to rest in the garden.

I'll be culling all my excess birds in the next few days instead of taking them to the local auction next month and will just see how the remaining birds do. Right now I'm wishing I did only have the 6 I was supposed to get at the start not the 60+ I have to deal with now. [​IMG]

10. RareBreedFancier

Nov 5, 2010
    Thought I better update for anyone who pulls this up in a search and wonders what happened.

I now have 20 - 30 sneezing and coughing birds in my main pen. I have concluded it's MG (Mycoplasma Gallisepticum) all the newly sick birds show the classic symptoms.

Tomorrow I will be doing a mass cull of the main pen. I have some young growers in a separate area who will be under close observation in quarantine. If there is any sign of illness in there they will all be culled too.

This is a heartbreaking decision but it's the only responsible option as my goal with chickens is to breed, preserve and promote rare breeds. I can't in good conscience sell eggs and birds that could contaminate uninfected flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by