Nursery/Broody Pen Pictures - PLEASE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommto3kiddos, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone would like to post pictures of their nursery or broody hen pen pictures!! I would love to see everyones set-up to grab ideas from!!
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    [​IMG]

the bottom level on the floor, underneath the nestboxes is where we've hatched our last 3 broods.

starting when a hen goes broody and is DEFINITELY sitting on her chosen eggs, we enclose her using vinyl "hardware cloth" stapled to the floor and ceiling, with a doorway to put food and water in there under their stairs. The broody hen needs to be protected from UBERbroody hens who will take over the job just before hatch, by attacking the poor broody hen and pulling her off the nest and stealing her chicks. Enclosing her also prevents sneaky hens from laying more eggs under her, which prolongs the hatch over several days.

Then, the broody hen and her chicks need protection from the pecking order of the flock for a few days. When they DEMAND to be let out, we do so, supervised, for a few days. Once the chicks are big enough to get away from a pecking chicken, they manage very well with the protection of their broody.

Prolonged hatches aren't the end of the world, though. Our Esther hen was the last of 11 chicks hatched over 8 days last September, and she had to run hard to keep up. Today, she's the smartest and strongest of the flock.

Good luck to you and yours [​IMG] !

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Oh I am loving your tote box set-up!!!

Another stupid newbie ? -- Do I move my hen and nest BOX or just hen and nest to the new dog crate..lol I don't want to freak her moving her and the eggs..

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Our Silkie boody hen is easily moved to anywhere a clutch of eggs is, so she and her eggs have been moved with great sucess.

But our skittish broody rosecomb mix could not be moved without freaking out, so we built a pen around her, and it worked very well, here she is with her chick, you can see she's still broody in this pic and the chick is already up and going!
    [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I DO NOT recommend this.....but the hen in the pic. with the saddle on......with the Dark Brahma boy sitting next to her....she is brooding on the dog's none-too-clean bed in the tool shed. Funnily enough, it worked!

[​IMG]

the eggs when she went off to eat.

[​IMG]

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:FUNNY! Maybe she figured the dog is always there at night to help her babysit? A nice, warm, safe place for her babies?!

Looks like she has good help from the rooboy, too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by