Nursery or temp housing til they can go in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JeninMN, May 11, 2009.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Hi,

We have 10 buff orps that are 3 weeks old so ofcourse w/in the next week or 2 will outgrow the brooder...

We have 26 1 year olds out in our coop and not really any way to fence in any part of that coop to put the babies in there with them..

Sounds like we need to wait until they are about 16 weeks or so before going in with our 1 year olds so......

We are looking for ideas on a temporary nursery pen or something that will be big enough for them until they can go in the big coop?

Would love any advice and photos of what you all do!!

Thanks,

Jen in MN

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps you could make a 'chicken hospital' for how, to be used later if you have a sick bird. Or maybe a 'chicken tractor' that can be used to exercise single birds or small groups in your yard? That way the extra building would be an investment in future care...

3. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

we are planning on building a small nursery coop after we get the new hen house done. It will either be 4x4 or 5x5, just big enough for that awkward stage where they are too big for the fish tank but to small to be out in an open to the air/ outside temp pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by