Nurture Right 360 and humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ahavati, May 15, 2018.

1. Ahavati

Ahavati Songster

Sep 12, 2016
    Woodville, TX
    How do you all get it up to 80%. I have turkeys on lockdown and I can get it to 70, but it stays between 65/70%. Tips??

Shannonw1228 likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
  3. Ahavati

Ahavati Songster

Sep 12, 2016
    Woodville, TX
    Thanks. I have a thermometer/hydrometer in the bator as well and the bators readings are spot on. I sprayed a little water around them and that brought it up but doesn't hold for a long time. I'll check out that thread.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    cavemanrich likes this.
  4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    You should be fine at 65% for hatch. The humidity will go up on its own when the hatchlings arrive because they are so wet. You want to avoid having the humidity so high that the condensation drips on the eggs.

Shannonw1228 and Nurtureright360 like this.
  5. Ahavati

Ahavati Songster

Sep 12, 2016
    Woodville, TX
    But I'm not getting hatchlings. They die after internal pip or right before. I have read many other's ways of doing turkeys and articles and most do 80% because the turkey shell is harder and needs to be softened more. The poults get weak and can't get out basically.

I just tossed out 3 of my 4 eggs that died within the last 2 days and one piped externally overnight and is currently tweeting.

I've hatched chickens and quail many time just fine, but these turkeys are stumping me.

6. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    @WVduckchick do you have any advice for the OP? My experience with turkeys is only with the wild ones in the incubator right now.

WVduckchick and Ahavati like this.
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I've only hatched turkeys once, my last two attempts were with shipped eggs and they quit before lockdown, so the OP may be correct about higher humidity. :idunno

My Nurture Right also only holds around 70%, which is fine for chickens and ducks, so I haven't worried about. But I can say that I used 2 different types of rubber shelf liner for the eggs to lay on. The one with the tighter weave, humidity would not go above 62%. A more open weave has let mine go higher.

If you have room in the incubator, you can place a shallow dish of water with a sponge in it, or even small pieces of sponge placed sporadically will help.

Some folks on that other thread got humidity so high it ruined their electronics. I'm not sure how they did it. Maybe keeping the vent closed, but I keep mine wide open at all times. The ventilation and circulation is more important, in my opinion.

8. Ahavati

Ahavati Songster

Sep 12, 2016
    Woodville, TX
    Well, I have it up to 77% right now and I see a little more progress with this guy. I did have shelf liner on the bottom that is a heavy weave. Earlier I wondered if it was inhibiting humidity and pulled half of it back. Seems to be holding at 78/77 now. We live in SE Texas so we're usually pretty humid here. I did open the vent all the way as well, it was half open before, after reading your humidity article.

WVduckchick likes this.
  9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Awesome. Let us know if it makes it out ok.

10. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Songster

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Did you try adding a moist sponge? I had to do that when I was trying to bump humidity up at one point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: