Nurture Right 360 Question - Quail

antirice

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
I'd ask this in the quail section but, seeing that the manufacturer has more or less recommended against using their product with quail, I thought I'd get a more educated audience in this section of the forum.

I'm looking at the Nurture Right 360 incubator. I'd primarily be using it for quail, but no one I could find makes a turner ring for quail eggs that fits it. I have access to a lot of machining equipment, so I'm wanting to at least look into making a ring with smaller openings.

My question is in regard to why they wouldn't already make this. It'd be pretty simple and, at the incubator's purchase price, it'd capture a pretty decent chunk of the quail market I'd imagine. My fear is that there's some really good reason I don't know of that keeps them from making one.

So, those of you that own one of these 'bators - can you think of any reason that a turner designed for quail eggs wouldn't work? Harris Farms does say that you can use the bator for hatching the quail (the eggs would have to be turned by hand), so I am not concerned about and dangers associated with having the tiny chicks in the thing. It'd JUST be about the turner ring that I'm worried about.

Thanks
Chris

To answer your question, "Why doesn't Harris Farms make a quail egg turning ring?" The answer is simple, cost! It would have to go through R&D, they may have to change out the turning motor to make it compatible for both quail and chicken size egg turning rings...idk...I have the 360 but I bought it just for my own curiosity, research, since I primarily hatch pheasant eggs, the turning ring is also too large for pheasant eggs.
This presented a problem with turning the eggs the same way everytime it moved...it also presented a developmental issue. The few eggs I incubated with it had lopped sided development of the embryos, which I attributed to the eggs being turned to the same 'spot' each time it turned the eggs. Instead of a 90° turn for each time it turned, it rolled the egg 360° each time it activated.

I haven't done it but I was going to fashion some partitions in the turning ring, so it would be compatible for hatching pheasant eggs or small bantam eggs.
You could probably do the same thing for quail eggs. For me it would be a 'trial & error' deal and I just don't have the patience to do it right now, since I have other bators that work just fine.

Instead of a 90° turn for each time it turned, it rolled the egg 360° each time it activated... I haven't done it but I was going to fashion some partitions in the turning ring, so it would be compatible for hatching pheasant eggs or small bantam eggs. You could probably do the same thing for quail eggs.

I didn't realize it rotated exactly 360 degrees each time. the eggs on the outer edge would dang near be scrambled by the time it stopped spinning LOL.

Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe I'll just look for a different incubator.

View attachment 1765961 I find it works well if you put two eggs in every slot it takes a few rotations to get them set right to where they are not rolling end over end but it works even though a quail ring would be great, also my hatch rate with this method is about 75-85%
So are you saying you put two quail eggs in each slot? We are getting 3 dozen quail eggs and this is the incubator we have but no idea if itll work

I'd ask this in the quail section but, seeing that the manufacturer has more or less recommended against using their product with quail, I thought I'd get a more educated audience in this section of the forum.

I'm looking at the Nurture Right 360 incubator. I'd primarily be using it for quail, but no one I could find makes a turner ring for quail eggs that fits it. I have access to a lot of machining equipment, so I'm wanting to at least look into making a ring with smaller openings.

My question is in regard to why they wouldn't already make this. It'd be pretty simple and, at the incubator's purchase price, it'd capture a pretty decent chunk of the quail market I'd imagine. My fear is that there's some really good reason I don't know of that keeps them from making one.

So, those of you that own one of these 'bators - can you think of any reason that a turner designed for quail eggs wouldn't work? Harris Farms does say that you can use the bator for hatching the quail (the eggs would have to be turned by hand), so I am not concerned about and dangers associated with having the tiny chicks in the thing. It'd JUST be about the turner ring that I'm worried about.

Thanks
Chris

Thanks
Chris
IMG_20200807_094211.jpg

i may be remembering wrong, but it seems like i have seen where someone reverse engineered and 3D printed a smaller egg tray for this incubator. there is a website that these peeps sometimes share files in. if I run across this information again, I will be sure to save the link and upload it here.

The instructions that came with my quail eggs said to have temp at 100 degrees first 14 days. Do you do this or the normal 99.5 like chicken eggs??

View attachment 1765961 I find it works well if you put two eggs in every slot it takes a few rotations to get them set right to where they are not rolling end over end but it works even though a quail ring would be great, also my hatch rate with this method is about 75-85%

Back
Top Bottom