Nutrena versys TSC layer crumbles...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DVTO2, Apr 26, 2011.

1. DVTO2

DVTO2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    So my year old Golden Comets have been laying almost an egg a day since they got going last summer on TSC layer crumbles. I made a switch last month to Nutrena Country Feeds layer crumbles and saw a big drop off in production, maybe almost half. They went back to their almost egg a day when I switched back. Has anyone else had a bad experience with Nutrena Country Feeds?

2. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Interesting, I have 6 golden comets and they are giving me an average of 3 eggs per day (50%) and I've used only Nutrena Country Feed. I never considered the lack of production was a feed problem. Unfortunately, I just bought a new bag of feed and I've got 4 weeks of food left and I don't want to waste the feed. I'll try a different brand next time and post back. How much time after the switch did you see the drop and the subsequent increase?

3. DVTO2

DVTO2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    I noticed it within a week or two.

4. Tiffany from Nutrena

Tiffany from Nutrena Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    North of Pasco, WA
    DVTO2 - sorry to hear that you have had some drop production! I just wanted to chime in and say this is NOT typical of Nutrena feed - we really pride ourselves on providing high quality, nutritious feed. If you don't mind, could you contact me directly via PM? I would love to get some more info from you - lot #, number of bags fed, where the feed was purchased, etc so that we can look more closely at the problem you are having. Or you can submit an email via our website www.nutrenaworld.com - you can go to the FAQ page and then click the link to talk to a poultry consultant.

5. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Quote:Just curious, did you ever switch brands and if so did you notice any change in production?

6. Arookar

Arookar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Eureka, CA
    What does TSC stand for? (I'm in Nor Cal) [​IMG]

7. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Tractor Supply Company?

8. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    Quote:That is Tractor Supply Company

9. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Quote:It's Tractor Supply Company.. took me awhile to figure out what it is, too, since we don't have them here in Humboldt. [​IMG]

10. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    I feed Nutrena feed to my layers and have great results from it. Fertility and hatch are excellent on it but fall off on a cheaper local feed. I use the Turkey and Quail Starter for my BRs and the Chick Starter Crumbles with great results. That sounds very non-typical of Nutrena Feed to have a problem. It may have something to do with how long your local feed store had the feed in stock. Nutritional values fall as feed ages. I have no experience with TSC feeds. The nearest is about 30 miles away.

Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by