Nutri-drench daily?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lafleurette, Aug 17, 2013.

1. lafleurette

lafleurette Out Of The Brooder

Hi All,
    I have a few hens nesting, and I've been daily giving them a squirt of nutri-drench in a spoonful of yogurt mixed with feed. I also make a plate for my other hens & roosters to keep them from eating the nesting hens' treat. What are your thoughts on this? Is it ok to be giving it to them daily? Is it even ok to be giving it in yogurt? I haven't seen any one else mentioning that. Thanks!

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    im not so sure about yogurt I haven't tried it on my chickens yet but I have herd you can give yogurt to them.

3. Sallyintucson

Sallyintucson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    I've read that yogurt is fine - in very small quantities. They will get a watery stool if you give them too much. 1/2 a teaspoon a day, I believe is what I read. Why so much special treatment with the hens? They will survive on regular chicken food as it's made to have a balanced diet.

4. lafleurette

The hens have been looking quite pale- they've been broody most of the summer and aren't taking good care of themselves and I think they have mites and/or lice. I powder them with mite and lice powder but I still worry about them. I'm hoping the nutridrench keeps them healthy enough until they stop nesting.

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A brooding hen's hormones change and are different from a hen that is laying. This results in the comb and wattles becoming pale. This may be what you are seeing. Are they sitting on fertile eggs? If not have you thought about breaking the broody behavior?

6. lafleurette

this is their second batch - the first didn't hatch. But it does mean they've been sitting for a long long time! A lost a chicken earlier in the summer, and noticed then that she was covered in lice - she had lost a bunch of body mass as well, and I'm hoping that I'm preventing that with these hens... As long as the nutri-drench and yogurt don't hurt, I'd like to keep doing it just for my peace of mind!

7. Sallyintucson

Sallyintucson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    How about treating the lice? There are some products out there that take care of the lice that don't hurt the food.

8. AlohaDuck

AlohaDuck Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Here's the best. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. It's incredible, natural, healthy, chemical free and extremely effective. You can read all about it here.

Remember, you are what you eat and what they eat. "Say NO" to chemicals of any kind for the sake of our egg layers and us!

This stuffs amazing. Use it around their bedding too along with in the food/water.

***Use only Food Grade DE. Only FOOD GRADE. Food Grade ONLY.***

9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Don't rely on diatomaceous earth to rid you of external parasite infestations.

10. AlohaDuck

AlohaDuck Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by