nutrious treats for a broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgaine, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    My little dark cornish Arrow is still broody and I want to make sure she doesn't loose too much weight. She's pretty filled out now with good meat on her, but it doesn't look like she has eaten much of the food I have out for her. So what are some highly nutrious things I can feed her? This is her 3 or 4th day of being broody. I take he out twice a day to go poop.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Scramble her some eggs. Try to tempt her with some black oil sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Whenever I have an animal that needs some weight gain I offer them some bread; not all that nutritious, but full of carbs.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I agree with Gritsar. But a serious case of the broody's means 21 days total. You've got a long way to go.

When my Pumpkin goes broody, I just make sure she gets tossed out of the nest twice a day to eat & poo, and I do "room service" with the usual treats.

If you girl is plump and healthy, I wouldn't worry.

4. Morgaine

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies. Do you think hard boiled eggs are ok? I have a bunch of those in the fridge right now. She is one of my more 'full figured' girls, lol. I hope she sticks with it. What do you do with the eggs if she changes her mind half way through? Bury them?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, some chopped hard boiled eggs would work just fine too. I have "seeded" a nest box with some eggs right now. If it doesn't work to get my hens to stop playing at going broody and get serious about it I intend to take them up into the woods and throw them away.

6. Morgaine

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I gave her the yolk and 1/2 the white, she ate most of it. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by