nutrition for fertility

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by mramericauna, Sep 29, 2016.

1. mramericauna

mramericauna Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    Western Kentucky
    I know a happy healthy flock is usually more fertile than a neglected flock. But I have an American pair and plan to get a few more hens. At this time I am only able to get a 50% fertile egg rate as determined by cracking eggs open and candling during incubation. My question is what feed is available that could possibly increase fertility in a flock? My particular situation concentrating on the rooster but for I formative purposes we can ask for flock fertility.

2. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Hello mramericauna!

You’re hatching rate isn’t far off from what most people can expect. 70% hatchability is considered very good for most people. I would say that you are likely doing what needs to be done in terms of feeding your flock. Feed your hens a good quality layer feed (Purina Layena), feed the rooster a diet that is appropriate for him (Purina Flock Raiser), and cut out any treats/snacks. These birds need to be getting as many nutrients as the can and in the proper amounts. Feeding treats/snacks dilutes the amount of nutrition in their complete feed. Think of these birds like professional athletes. They have to have their nutrition on point in order to maintain their ability to perform. Potato chips and candy aren’t conducive to keeping their bodies in top form. Your birds are not going to suffer by not being fed treats and scratch. A complete feed provides all of the nutrients that those birds need.

I don’t know how you are hatching your eggs – via chicken or an incubator – but there are many management steps that can be taken to improve (or reduce with bad management) the fertility rate of those eggs. Temperature, humidity, storage conditions, age of the eggs before incubation, air flow around the eggs, how often the eggs are turned, cleanliness of the nest/incubator/storage area are all things that can influence how successful you are going to be at hatching out those chicks.

3. mramericauna

mramericauna Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2016
    Western Kentucky
    Thank you sir. The only "treats" I give my chickens is broccoli and cabbage in a suite feeder and once a week I pop some popcorn for them usually on Fridays.

As for incubation I use a forced air incubator with automatic egg Turner. It is cleaned and sterilized with mild bleach water and allowed to air dry at least 3 days before another hatch is put in.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    This time of year, fertility can be affected by the shortening days. I'm having an issue with that in my flock currently. My mature rooster is only managing about 30% fertility. Just two months ago, it was 100%. The only change is the daylight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by