1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nutrition in oats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Noodlynoo, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Noodlynoo

Noodlynoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    People have been mentioning on a chicken keeping facebook group that 'porridge' oats have no nutritional value for chickens, yet there are lots of threads on here that show that many people feed them - particularly in fermenting.

What are peoples opinions on this site about it?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I don't use 'porridge' oats (I assume people mean 'quick' oats by this, though we use whole rolled oats if we make porridge) and my animals detest quick oats. There's good reason. They're overprocessed compared to whole rolled oats and denatured foods do not act the same in the body, generally being prone to creating more acid, overdoses or imbalances of nutrients, etc.

Whole rolled oats, yes; valuable fodder with many health benefits. Quick oats --- never. My animals would rather starve.

Best wishes.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use whole / intact grain oats during winter and usually applied as soaked. For me it is a way to provide water. They good for energy and can repressent part of the protein in a maintenance diet (no growth, no molt, no eggs).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by