nuts?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Alethea, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I haven't heard anything, one way or the other, about nuts. It never occured to give them to our girls because we have plenty of leftovers and fruit/vegetable scraps they can have for their 4:00 snack. I knocked over a jar of roasted pecans and they fell to the dirty floor and I scooped them up for the chickens. They had their first snack of nuts today. They loved them. Is it ok to give them nuts on occasion? Bok.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sure it's okay, but go easy on any nuts that are salted.

When our pecan trees start dropping the nuts I spend many a pleasant afternoon outside with my chooks cracking pecans for em. They all line up to get their share. [​IMG]

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    My girls are crazy for nuts, and its a good source of protein. Unsalted and raw pnuts are their favorite.

4. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Yep, not a problem.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If my trees were producing nuts, I'd certainly give them more nuts than grains [​IMG]

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If you are located in a peanut producing area (that would be most anywhere in the South: if you are in the States) then you can probably find a peanut-based feed at your local Mill or Feedstore.

I feed 14% Hog Finisher that is Peanut based.

7. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Thank you everyone. We live in Oregon, no peanuts here. It must be fun to sit with the chickens and crack nuts for them. I'll try it sometime. Bok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by