1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nw ohio processors???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bmchicken, Mar 22, 2016.

1. bmchicken

bmchicken New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Millbury, OH
    I am looking for a processor in northwest Ohio. I have 37 broilers that will be ready in 4 weeks. the state processor i use has raised his price to over $4 a bird. Does anybody know anyone???

2. sonofabish1

sonofabish1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    Ohio
    My guy is near xxxx, OH - about an hour drive for you. He charges $2 a bird. However you want them, whole or cut up. You bring bags, coolers, ice, etc. and he butchers them while you wait. It's a pretty backwoods operation - nothing very professional about it. I don't know him enough to know if he's open to doing business with "strangers" - my brother's father-in-law knew him so that was my in...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  3. bmchicken

bmchicken New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Millbury, OH
    Thanks for the info but I would prefer a state inspected processor.

4. sonofabish1

sonofabish1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    Ohio
    In that case $4 a bird sounds cheap. Down my way (towards central OH) they run about $5 a bird. I will note that during fair season he travels to all the county fairs and does chickens there. Maybe he is inspected?? Not sure, doesn't really bother me...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by