NY- Rescued Small Dogs Need Loving Homes! (Close to VT,NH)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cathy, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cathy

Cathy Out Of The Brooder

All ads of any type must be in the Buy/Sell/Auction section in the proper format.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Can I make a suggestion?

I adopted a new dog from a rescue organization just 10 days ago so this is all still really fresh in my mind. Prior to finding my new dog, I perused every source in my area for adoptable dogs - the Humane Society's website, Craigslist pets section, Petfinder etc. Most ads on Craigslist were along the lines:

"4YO Cocker mix, male, moving & new landlord doesn't allow dogs, small rehoming fee" and the phone number.

However I opened one ad to find a book! The ad detailed the history of the dog - sad as it was - what he is like now, his likes/dislikes, how he spends his day, what kind of home he needs and so on. I swear - this history had to take them 30-45 minutes to write up. I read every word. And I knew I wanted that dog. Now it ultimately turned out that I was unable to adopt him because when I contacted the rescue who had him, and told them what I was looking for, they didn't think he'd be good around the chickens or my cat. However the long history was very refreshing compared to most of the other ads. My requirements in a dog a very specific but most of the ads did not provide enough information for me to even begin to guess if the dog would be a good fit. Heck, most of the ads don't even specify whether or not the dog is neutered or even its size!

So my suggestion is that you write up as much as you possibly can on each dog that needs a new home, and include as much personalized information as you can to enable someone considering adoption to feel they know the dog before they even meet him/her. If you'd like me to send you the text for the ad I mentioned above, please PM me, as I saved it to my computer.

3. Cathy

Cathy Out Of The Brooder

Thanks so much for the information, we advertise like crazy all over, and on petfinder, we have write ups on our pets but the reason why i did not put it all out here on this website is because the limit of words you can use etc. Thanks so much for sharing your good idea but we have been finding wonderful homes for a long time now, and we do have great write ups. We do phone interviews, applications and screen people with each adoption, our foster homes also help us with adoptions rather quickly because they can share info with the perspective adopters.
    Again thank you for your information!

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I agree, we have only adopted rescues/throwaways and luckily everyone has been truthful in letting us find out their personalities

5. Cathy

Cathy Out Of The Brooder

We have a few people inquire on the dogs, a few just via the forum here, thanks to all who did, hopefully soon some will be going to good homes soon, will keep you all updated. Who all pm me, i sent applications to your email you posted in the pm so look out for it.. Thanks!

6. Cathy

Cathy Out Of The Brooder

Ruby, Diamond and Brodey all have adoptions pending- soon to go to new homes!! Happy endings, got to love them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by