NYC transplant living in "the country," or as close as I've ever come to it!

jlasmom

Hatching
May 7, 2016
Hi, all,

I'm new to chickens, having grown up in New York City, where I didn't see a whole lot of farm-type activity (although I've been told chickens in NY is not uncommon, as their ordinances are pretty lax). I now live in Utah with my young family, and over the next few months we'll be moving from a 1/3-acre property to a .58-acre property closer to my husband's job (this will be a GREAT move for many reasons, #1 being a shorter commute for him!), and we'll finally start planning to get our first batch of birds. :) I'll most likely wait until next year, but the planning has already begun. I've read tons of books on the subject, but the idea is still a little foreign to me (I'm a city girl with a country heart!), and I'm raring to get my hands dirty and "learn by doing!" My kids are homeschooled, so this will be a great experience for them, too, and I look forward to having them help and learn right alongside me. My in-laws live a couple of hours away on a couple acres, and they have a few chicks this year, so I always look forward to when we visit so I can watch them and learn a little more.

I'm leaning toward Brahmas and Orpingtons as I've read they are pretty cold- and heat-tolerant, and being in Utah, which is pretty much all mountains and desert, we get some pretty hot days, and pretty cold ones, too. I've also been told they have a tendency to be very calm and easygoing, which sounds like a good thing with my hands-on kids (and a nervous city slicker of a mom!) ;) We also have a cat who occasionally spends time in the yard and who is quite gentle (but you never know with cats) so I like the idea of having larger birds that my kitty would hopefully leave alone (my plan's to keep them separated, of course, but I know accidents happen). I'd love a little more input as far as my choice, and I look forward to researching more. Egg size and color don't matter to me, nor does production all that much - I just want happy, healthy birds that won't mind a little lovin' from our family. ;)

Anyway, don't mind me as I lurk and ask questions and admire all of your beautiful birds, and dream of when (someday soon!) I'll have a flock of my own!

-M

welcome-byc.gif
Great to have you on board! Hope you enjoy your time here and gets lots of chickens soon.
smile.png

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You don't have to lurk anymore, you can ask whatever questions you can think of. Have you checked out the Learning Center? It is the best place to start a poultry education. You may also want to join your state thread and see if any bycers live near you. Just put state name in the search box and it will come up for you.

Hi and welcome aboard - great to have you join us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom