1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

O.K. dumb question.... How do you clean the dirt in a quarantine pen?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by peewee, Sep 15, 2009.

1. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I know that this is probably a dumb question but how do you clean the dirt in a quarantine pen? I have a 8' x8' pen that I used as a quarantine pen for my chickens that I want to turn into part of a larger flight for my golden pheasants and possibly some quail. My only issue with this is the fact that this was a place for birds that had at one time bad diarrhea. After deworming and good food the diarrhea cleared right up. I think that it was possibly stress from relocating them. The person I got them from took decent care of them and they were good weight and ate like cows but, when I asked when the last time they were dewormed I got the answer "Your supost to worm them?" [​IMG] They were in there for over three months until I was sure they were fine to let loose in with my others. Now I need the pen space but I want to make sure anything in the dirt will not effect my pheasants and quail. What if anything can I put on the ground to make sure this area is safe? Do I need to truck in dirt and lay a deep cover over the ground? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I posted this in the diseases section but decided to post it here as well.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Use malation diluted in a bug sprayer bottle.Spray everything roost baskets walls ground everything.Let it dry and then lime it.I'd give it a few days before putting birds in it.You can also use the malation to spray your birds for lice,but don't get it in their eyes.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

when 3 of my calves got cocci I bleach weatered the entire pens (even the ground) then hydrated lime on the ground.

You could also use Oxine to "bleach" the pens instead of bleach.

meri

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Pee Wee How Long Has The Pen Been Empty?

5. peewee

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    For about two weeks now. Malation is the same as Malathion correct?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    2 Weeks--- Yeah I'd Definately Nuke It. Use Lots Of Melation And Let It Soak In Quite Good--- Down Here In This Sand We Have It Will Wash Out Quickly And Easily Couple That With The Tropical Rains( My Place Is A Swamp Right Now, And Has Been For 2 Wks!) You May Want To Treat, Wait 2 Weeks And Treat Again Before Using That Pen With A Different Batch Of Birds...

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yes,it is a plant bug liquid.You can also put down 2 or 3" of sand over the top,but you still need to wait a few days.
    In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  8. peewee

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Thank you guys!!! I got a bottle of Malathion today and will hopefully be able to get the pen sprayed down tomorrow. I have the lime already and depending on the weather I might try liming it Sunday.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have have read on here several times that Oxine is the best disinfectant. I am very allergic to malathion;I hope you are not, as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by