O.K. No more helping "friends"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sumi, Sep 28, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    A guy we know, not a friend, went and bought an incubator about 4 weeks ago. I saw the ad online and knowing he was looking for one, gave him the number and told him to go have a look. So he comes back with this homemade thing and I told him I don't think it's perfect, but he should have a go with it and see how it goes. Or rather I will, his electricity's cut off where he is and is not getting it turned back on for some reason.
    So we agree that I will put in 1/3 of the eggs and he will put in the rest from his chickens (total 56 eggs) and I will do the business. We've been paying for the electricity.
    What I didn't know was just how badly put together this thing is.
    Just keeping the temperature range right was a full time job. We had to check it 100 times a day, fiddling with the thermostat everytime we turned the eggs and a few times in between.
    Then one of the lightbulbs went. I phoned the owner who promised he will bring a new one, didn't until the next day and then it was a blue 40w bulb! So I went and bought bulbs. Am still waiting for my money.
    Sunday morning the first chick made an appearance. The owner of the box said he'll come round in the morning, but only showed up late afternoon. The chicks kept coming, but my DH and I had to help 6 of them hatch. I got up 01:30AM Monday morning and helped a chick, stayed up with it 'till around 04:00AM. Yesterday morning I got up at 05:00 to help a chick hatch and last night I stayed up late with another problem hatch chick whom I miraculously pulled through. We eventually got to 11 chicks yesterday evening.
    The owner came round this afternoon, after failing to show up yesterday evening to collect some of his chicks. Looked very upset with the low hatch rate. I said I want to wait 'till this evening or tomorrow morning and then I'm quitting with that box. I'll check the remaining eggs for any living chicks and take care of them, but I'm tired and I'm tired of babysitting that box. Today is day 23 already and there hasn't been any sign of life since yesterday evening's problem baby.
    He started critisising my decision and said he will take the eggs somewhere and try and get them to hatch. He takes an egg out of the box and goes outside with it, smashed the shell, not breaking the membrane, and looks at the chick inside. It was still alive, so I said I could possibly help it, seeing the membrane's intact and the chick is nearly ready to hatch.
    He fed it to my pig.
    I spent hours and hours helping chicks, including a slightly premature one, not losing a single one and he just throws that little thing away like that. Not trusting my knowledge and experience. Without which we would've had 5 chicks only. (And here I must add quick that the info I got on this forum regarding hatching chicks helped enormously.)
    He wasn't here helping over the past 3 weeks. He didn't turn a single egg. He didn't top up the water. He didn't run to the neighbors with the incubator when our power got turned off for a few hours when a pole fell down. He didn't sit in the chick pen adjusting the heat lamp and shifting newborns around so they don't overheat. He wasn't interested. All he cared about was getting the maximum number of chicks out of this hatch.
    I didn't even get a "thank you for making such an effort".
    And he actually wants me to do this all over again and hand over 2/3's of the chicks to him who only wants chickens because he wants to make money off them.
    I said I taking the premmie chick, so I'm getting 5 chicks for my troubles. Much as I love chicks, I'm not sure it was worth it.
    Oh, he's now blaming me for the incubator turning out to be such a disaster, because I saw the ad and told him about it, which in his head turned into I "recommended" it and I "suggested" he buys it.
    I'm not going to help him with anything again.
    Thanks for letting me vent.

2. ChickenDreamer

ChickenDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Northern Ontario
    How disheartening a situation. Thank you for doing your very best for those chickies. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As you already know this is not a friend. Lesson learned - be cautious about those with whom you become involved.

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Today I swear I will never help him again with this crazy chicken business ideas he's got, but tomorrow he's going to come here asking advice...
    Thing is, though I couldn't care less if he crashed and burned, but I do worry about his chickens.
    He wants 2000 layers by mid-next year and he doesn't know very much about chickens. (He doesn't even know how much he's supposed to feed them!) All he knows is that having 2000 hens laying free range eggs will make him lots of money. And that's all he cares about.
    I'm just sticking around to help the hens when it does blow up.
    I've saved some of his chickens already when they got sick and he just left them.
    Guess I'm just in this for the birds...

5. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Sounds like tomorrow is a good day not to be home. If he catches you in, just give him the phone number for the nearest college with a cooperative extension that helps people with their home gardening and animal husbandry skills. Tell him they will be able to help him SO much better than you can.

Then change the street sign. Maybe he won't come back...[​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wow, after your last post all the more reason to stay away from this guy. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Quote:You know, there comes a time and place when you have to stop and take a step back - and butt heck out! Let him fall flat on his face. [​IMG]

He's already blamed you for the failure of the hatching/incubator. My guess is that if you are involved in anyway, he will continue to blame you for all the failures. Yes, some birds may suffer some may die - document- I admire your dedication to the birds... but don't interfer anymore. (though my guess is he'll blame you cause you didn't help him!) [​IMG] If he has no power, how does he plan to water all those birds?

If you stay out of it, he may fail much faster - problem solved.

Also, are there any regulations where you are, about raising livestock/eggs for sale? Here, you can only have a certain number of birds and can sell only a certain number of eggs or certain $ amount, before you have to have your facilities inspected and have tax ids etc. See if it applies in his situation wait till he gets established - then report him.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Quote:You know, there comes a time and place when you have to stop and take a step back - and butt heck out! Let him fall flat on his face. [​IMG] He's already blamed you for the failure of the hatching/incubator. My guess is that if you are involved in anyway, he will continue to blame you for all the failures. Yes, some birds may suffer some may die - document- I admire your dedication to the birds... but don't interfer anymore. (though my guess is he'll blame you cause you didn't help him!) [​IMG]

If you help him, suggest he buy a book on raising chickens...walk away.

You've already seen how he handles what he's got so you know it won't be long. But if you stay out of it, he may fail much faster - problem solved.

Also, are there any regulations where you are, about raising livestock/eggs for sale? Here, you can only have a certain number of birds and can sell only a certain number of eggs before you have to have your facilities inspected and have tax ids etc. See if it applies in your situation - then report him.

That is a very good idea.
    I'm friends with our local state vet and they are hardcore about chicken farms, because problems on the chicken farms can cause problems for everyone else farming in the area. They recently closed a battery farm in this area because the farmer wasn't doing what they wanted him to do. Think I'm going to have a chat with the vet and see if they can go have a look.
    Then I can sit back and let them sort it out. They've already been round our farm, testing my chickens for bird flu and telling me what to with them regarding disease etc. So he probably won't suspect anything if they visit him.

9. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    There ya go! Let them be the heavies!

10. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Did you just pop him a good one in the mouth and say "See ya!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by