O.K. now I have TWO chickens in the house!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeannieo, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    a couple of weeks ago I brought my elderly BO Kate Smith in because she had gotten alarmingly skinny. I had her in for a couple of days, fed her good and I thought she felt a little meatier (for lack of a better word, I don't eat my pets) so I put her back in the coop in a crate with a heat lamp for one night and she seemed fine but after observing her I felt she wasn't eating. So I brought her in again and now the temps average in the single digits to twenties, night and day, so I don't want to put her back out until we get a warm stretch of weather [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. Anyway this morning one of my EE's was walking funny, like she was dragging her butt a bit and I picked her up and looked and her beautiful fluffybutt was covered with dried poo! A lot of it!! [​IMG] I didn't have time to do anything this morning so when I got home about an hour ago, I brought her in, put her in a tub, and washed her poor little poopy fluffybutt. So now it's 3:30, I dried her with a hair drier a bit but she is still wet and I put her in with Kate Smith. (the EE is one of the lovely Lennon Sisters BTW). So do I keep her in overnight so she has a chance to dry and when I put her back should she go in the crate with the heat lamp? and I want to put Kate Smith back too but now she's been in the house for about a week and I'm afraid to put her back in because it's so cold. And I do obsess about all of them (25) being cold, they have two heat lamps but even with those it's still about 20 in the coop when its 6 outside. help! I just LOVE my chooks! [​IMG]

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    What are your temperatures in the house?

If the EE is looking good, I would put her back outside tonight (make sure she is completely dry!) so she can stay acclimated. 20's is totally doable for chickens if they are acclimated.

If Kate has been inside for a while, she is not acclimated. Do you have a coldish garage, or patio where you could transition her? Or perhaps you have a house chicken this year....[​IMG]

3. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with chookchick. Doing a dramatic temp change would not be easy on Kate Smith.

One concern I have is about the poo that stuck to the feathers. Why did it happen? Did she have a case of diarrhea? Does she seem healthy now? It might be nothing to worry about, but I'd hate to disregard the possibility. You seem to be assuming Kate Smith's weight is down because she's getting old. Is your EEs weight down also? What about the other girls? Has there been a recent change in diet? It would be terrible if there was an illness going through your flock.

Best of luck to you and your flock.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  4. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    no change in diet and everyone seems fine, but the EE I have in the house, her bottom, the part under the vent seems swollen. And I went out and checked for other poopy butts and there are 3 EE's and 1 RIR with dried poop. OMG, It never occured to me that they might be ill [​IMG]. Now I'm scared! I love my babies! Any ideas? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I just weighed the two of them. Kate the BO weighs 5 lbs. 4 oz and the EE weighs 5 lbs. 13 oz. are these good weights?

6. Andi

I'm sorry, but I don't have any ideas. I'm still new to chickens and have a lot to learn. I hope others with more experience can help you. Best of luck!

7. Andi

8. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    wow! thank you so much! now on top of this one of my zebra finches is dying! [​IMG] and I got a good look at the EE's poop. I think it's worms and I think I read somewhere that if you can see them, it's really bad! now I'm really scared AND I think she is eggbound!

9. Andi

[​IMG]

10. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Okay, it sounds like things are piling up on you. I'm new myself but I can offer some suggestions.

First: Kate Smith. BO are big birds, EE's tend to be a bit smaller yet Kate weighs less than your EE so she might be a tad underweight. But you know her best, listen to your instincts. If you think she should stay in the house for a bit; keep her in and figure out a way to acclimate her.

The EE. Worms can be eliminated; carefully. You'll want to do a Wazine (piperazine)dosage first, not the heavy hitting Ivemectin. Worm with piperazine once, then again in 10 days because it won't kill larvae.

Chances are if one bird has worms, they all do and you'll need to get the whole flock.

There are some really good thread on here about internal parasites and solutions to things like being egg bound. You can go to the search option.

I'm sorry that all this is happening to you, good luck.

I only have six chickens but I've taken to feeding them a small portion of organic, grass-fed ground beef. Each bird gets a portion about the size of the top of my index finger once a week, twice when the temperatures go below 10 degrees. I've heard that it helps with protein, can put weight on them and gives them a bit of fat. I feed mine raw meat, others recommend cooking it.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by