O.K....so what IS an Olive Egger/O.E.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kelly G, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I have repeatedly seen topics regarding Olive Eggers....are these simply Easter Eggers that lay olive colored eggs? I ask this seemingly ridiculous question is because I see many eggs for sale that are NOT olive colored!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A lot of people are starting to falsely claim their average Easter Eggers as Olive Eggers, yes, because of the demand OE's are getting.

Olive Eggers are a cross of a dark brown egg layer and a blue/green egg layer. The resulting bird must lay an olive green colored egg, and preferably to me, one that is rich and slightly dark or very dark in color. A pale "olive" egg is quite identical to an Easter Egger's green egg to me.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I assume it would be the inhabitant of the egg that will produce the olive egg. A brown egg layer X with a blue egg layer I believe. It's all a gamble with genetics, but most people have it down. And even then, when you purchase an egg... you may get a roo.
    And then, when you cross your olive egger with something the odds all change again.

4. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Thanks, Illia - I wondered if that was the problem, or if I was losing my mind! I thought Olive Eggers should lay Olive Eggs....I will hold out for the ones laying olive eggs!

3Good Eggs - I don't mind getting roos....they go on Craig's list and are gone in one day! I mainly would like to have some hens that would lay olive green eggs...

Thanks to both of you for taking time to post for me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by