O.K. to add light in the middle of moulting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pigcoon, Dec 21, 2010.

1. pigcoon

pigcoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vermont
    This is the second winter for my 5 hens (golden comets) and egg production went way down about 3-4 weeks ago when it got very cold. This is in Vermont. The last two weeks they are losing a lot of feathers and kind of lining the coop with them, which I thought might be for extra warmth but now see (from other threads) that they are probably moulting.

The question is, can I add light to the morning on a timer if they are in the middle of moulting, or do they need to finish this process first? Also, how do I know when they are finished Moulting?

Thanks!

2. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    My red sex links just molted. They looked all ragged and ugly for several weeks, and now their feathers are starting to look better. So I am thinking they are done molting. How old are yours? Mine are just 18 months, this is their first molt.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You can add light any time. It wont have any impact on the molting.

4. pigcoon

pigcoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vermont
    Thanks. Mine were born May 2009 so they will be two in the spring. This is their first molt as far as I can tell.

I have just been reading the other threads about adding protein, etc. We have a secondary problem with one of the hens getting pecked on her rump so I need to fix that problem next. I think the molting got it started and someone took advantage of the bare spot. I will look into adding the light.

I just thought that since people consider molting stressful, that doing anything else "different" might add stress to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by