O! M! G! What is up with the humidity!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chevis, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Chevis

Chevis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    I just bought a used incubator. (It looks sorta looks like Murry McMurry High Hatch bator) It holds a temp wonderfully, but I CAN NOT get the humidity above 10%!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I have 13x9 cake pan in there with water, but there is a catch.......I have a dehumidifier n my basement and I CAN NOT turn it off. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My house was built n 1939 and the basement defiently shows it!! It has water all over it ALL the time, since the dehumidifier I havent had any problems with my basement leaking!! I thought about closing all six holes n the back of the bator, just leaving a little crack n 1 of them. [​IMG] I need some help PLEASE!! Im bout ready to pull my hair out!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:rant

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sounds like your hygrometer is not working. What does it measure outside the incubator?

3. Chevis

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    I havent just set it out of the bator , but i'll do that when I get home this 2night. It was n my other still air bators and read a good temp and a good humidity. I have others ones, Ill put them n there 2night, & c if the other is broken??

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Get yourself a new temperature with humidity.

5. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Walmart has a wonderful thermometer/hygrometer for under $10. It's a small white one. It's all I've ever used in my bators and I've had great hatches. Good luck!

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I have seen others post about walmart hygrometers, but can not seem to find them! Can you please tell me the brand and which dept you found them in. I just need back ups and extras.
    Thanks, Tisha

Quote:

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  8. Chevis

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    Thanks to Everyone for all ur help!! [​IMG] It never even occured to me to SWITCH thermometers!!!! DUH!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Im new at this, but I should have knew better, & switched it out!! [​IMG] LOL!! Someone needs to slap me!!!![​IMG] LMAO!! But I got it switched with a different 1 and humidity is great!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] The other 1 is still reading 10%!!!!! I didnt think it would b broke cause I just bought these a month ago. I will b going to Wally world and picking up some extras, ASAP!! Thanks again! (I feel like such an airhead) [​IMG]

9. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    Quote:I ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST 2 THERMOMETERS GOING IN MINE THE ONE LIKE IN THE LINK DOES NOT GIVE ME AN ACCURATE TEMP FOR ME. BUT WORKS GREAT FOR THE HUMIDITY. TEST IT USING A MEDICAL THERMOMETER JUST TO BE SAFE. RIGHT NOW I HAVE 7 SERAMA EGGS ON LOCK DOWN WITH 4 DIGITAL AND 1 MERCURY THERMOMETERS IN THERE WITH THEM. BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY.

10. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Yep that's the ones [​IMG] I've got 8 and they are all within 1-2pts of each other. Excellent hatches thanks to those guys. Don't feel like an airhead, we all make it more complicated than it is because we can't believe it is really just THAT simple lol Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by