O.o what's this??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dianuzhka, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Dianuzhka

Dianuzhka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2012
    CA
    I just got it as a gift, I think is a pullet... but what breed? what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's a pullet and it is some sort of game chicken. Difficult to tell which type of game as I am not into breeding them, but I know there are some breeders on here who should be able to tell you.

3. Dianuzhka

Jul 30, 2012
    CA
    another thing, i have 5 roosters, we think white leghorns, I'm gonna process them in a couple of weeks, should i keep one for the little pullet?? or is she better alone?? (i also have 2 ducks, and the roosters just stared to 'molest' them as if they were hens)

[​IMG]

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do you have any other hens to keep her with? If not, I would keep one of the roosters with her for company, at least until you can get another hen. Chickens typically do better with others of their own kind!

5. Dianuzhka

Jul 30, 2012
    CA
    ty for your comments, i don't have any more hens, i got the 5 roos as chicks hoping for a hen but they are all roosters.
    Do you think i should let her out whit them ??

6. RoyalPayne

RoyalPayne Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm thinking Modern Game. There are over 15 recognized color variations, so that's no help. I'm looking at her tail, and her profile front on. Looks Modern to me. She's not a fighting breed, purely a fanciers bird. No to turning her out with the roos. Maybe I'm prejudiced, but 5 Sexlink roos killed a good part of my flock and there were over 40 of them. One small hen and 4 roos? She wouldn't stand a chance. Unless they're are caponed.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I personally wouldn't put a big Leghorn roo over a itty bitty Modern pullet, I would process all of the roos and find her a little bantam buddy on craigslist [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's some type of game hen, and I'd also process all those roos and look for another hen (or several---enabler alert) for your gamey little girl.

10. Dianuzhka

Jul 30, 2012
    CA
    ok ok, so the leghorn won't be the best company..... you think it could hurt her even if i just let one??
    and if yes, is it because is big (in comparison) or because she is just one little lady??

My grandmother send her to me 'cause some predator got the rest of her flock, i ask around and they said they know her father is a game rooster but have no
    idea what the hen is, i wanted hens for eggs but you just don't say no to rescuing your grandmother chicken, i guess she will lay decently .... or not???

It was my impression that the leghorns were small until i lay my eyes on this little pullet, i don't know how old she is but she is so tiny i had to call her thumbelina,
    in case i process all the roosters and get her some other company what kind do you recommend? any bantam?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by