O.o?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nikki1496, Dec 5, 2013.

1. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    I did some tinkering to the temp of my "incubator" set up and got in in the right range now and someone asked in that post if i could post pics, i wasnt sure if of the incubator or the eggs but these are a few pics of one particular egg it has a dark mass in it but also light spots im trying to figure out if the embryo is dead or what.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    not quite sure if you can see the lighter spots in the first two pics, this is the egg i never saw blood vessels or anything in, should i toss this egg or no? o.o

2. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What day of incubation is it on? Try to note any movement when candling if it's far enough along.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    i only toss if they stink :)

4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm with wolfandfinch for the most part. I only toss them if they stink UNTIL day 14. If I candle them on Day 14, I know at least part of the egg will be completely dark. No light shines through it at all. If I don't see that, then the egg hasn't developed, and I know it's not a good one, and I toss it back to the chickens for them to eat.

But one thing gets me about this egg. In the first pic, the dark spots are what I typically see when an egg has been laying outside in the dirt too long. The dark spots are usually some sort of infection inside of the egg, caused by the bacteria, fungi, and other germs on the ground, that come into contact with an egg. The first time I saw it, one of my ameraucanas had kept her eggs hidden for an entire MONTH before I found her nest (she was 100% free-range). When I found them, about 5 of them had this issue in varying degrees. One of them, I noticed, had almost the same exact pattern of a tiny leaf that was underneath it (inside the shell, not outside). So whatever the egg absorbed from that leaf, "infected" it and killed the embryo.

That, coupled with no visible blood vessels tells me this is probably a bad egg.

5. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Okay. none of them stink and its on day i think 14-15? Id have to look at the date i have written down.
    would it be better to toss that one or let it keep incubating?

6. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    I deff know its bad now i checked it. and the clear spots betweeb are moving like if u had an infertile egg. i also checked the others and dont see any signs of an embryo. two are white shelled one is blue (easter egger) and i dont see signs of life in any yet and its like day 10-12 i believe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by