:O 'Scovy hen laying?? how heavy are thier eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I have my little white Muscovy hen, Rosilee, shes an Auction rescue, pretty little thing, but not very big. I wasn't sure how old she was. and I've had her about 3 months now.

the other day I found an egg, if a little half-arse nest, and thought it was a pekin egg, but it was HUGE, I brought it in, and wieghed it, 70 grams!. the eggs maude(my pekin) has been laying only wiegh between 40 and 43 grams.

well last night, when I finally got up the energy to go out and check on everyone cause i'm sick and hadn't been outside all day. when Rosi moved from her sleeping spot, I saw another egg, still wet,it looked freshly layed.

if she keeps laying will she go broody?? her eggs will not be fertile because my drake isn't old enough. and of course none of the other drakes pay her any attention.

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, if you leave the eggs there she will lay 8-18 eggs and then set on them until they hatch..

Since they are not fertile, you can keep taking them from her. She may lay an egg a day for up to a month.

You can always eat them! I hear there great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by