O Shamo hens?

hiltopsassafras

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Hi everyone,
I have posted a few times in different topic area's because I have had some issue's with my flock lately. Things have calmed down thanks to the advice I have gotten here.

I finally have had time to look around the site some and have finally identified my 2 girls that were known as fighting cock hens to me. They are definitly O Shamo's. They are weird looking. I have/had 2 that came with a flock of 13 that were given to me by one of my clients that was moving to the lake for retirement. There were 3 barred rock hens, 1 cinnamon queen hen 2 barred rock roo's, 3 o shamo hens, and 4 o shamo roosters. 1 O shamo hen and all the O shamo roo's were taken to sale along with 1 of the barred rock roo's.
We kept the 3 BR hens, the cinnamon queen hen and 2 O Shamo hens.

One O Shamo hen has left the coop to live in the woods. My clients husband told me she was crazy and he was right. She is crazy, but was not aggressive so we kept her. She comes in daily to lay an egg...for now. I dont know what her fait will be but if she want to come home for good we are going to isolate her and see if we can gentle her a little bit. ? who know's ?

My one O Shamo that is halpf way normal in the my flock is broody. She is a flighty bird in comparison to the others but she sticks with them and lays well. I named her Slim Sue after a Thoroughbred Race horse my friend owned....she ran around the "yard" like a wild woman when we first got them. She was the fastest of them all...hence the name.
Well Slim Sue has gone broody and seems happy to sit so I stuffed a few more eggs under her when she first started so we will see what kind of mama she will be. From what I have read...and seen she will make a great mom and know one is gonna mess with her babies! We will see.

Are there any other O Shamo owners here? If so what is your experience? They don't seem to have a great rep with the average chicken owner. I see why if you kind of want a useful flock that make good pets. Sue may become a little bit of a pet, but its gonna take a lot of work. We will take good care of her and work around her though. I am expecting a good mama out of her.

Sassy

Back
Top Bottom