1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

So, it warmed up here in the Frozen North to a whopping 30 degrees F over this past weekend. This was a mixed blessing... the chooks got some outside time, but the coop thawed slightly... and now it reeks in there... but its cooling off again fast and I dont fancy shovelling the coop out in 10 degrees. So, what can I use to control the smell that is safe for the birds until its warm enough for me to get out there and clean it out?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:An oxygen mask...

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sounds like you need LOTS of pine shavings. (maybe some inscense too)

4. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    I use StallDry with pretty good success. It's usually sold along with horse items, as it's original purpose is for freshening stalls I suppose. It's made using clay and Diatomaceous Earth. I've read of others here on BYC using it as well with good results.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:In keeping with Birdaholic's suggestion, just keep piling a layer of pine shavings each day to cover each day's worth of poo?

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Agricultural lime--works like a charm!!

7. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I can relate..we are up to 50s..had 24 hrs. of steady rain..what a stinking mess..I think sand is going to be my plan this weekend..in the run..the house ?..I'm afraid if I keep adding shavings and they keep adding clay/mud..I will never get it out!!....but i did get my first egg of this year today!!..beautiful blue/green..after 3-4 mo.s of nothing!

8. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Use the DLM method, deep litter method, if u look it up on here u will prob. find it.

Also at TSC they have air freshener spray that is animal safe, but its a *little* pricy.

9. harrisville chicken

harrisville chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    Quote:Where do you get that. Is it sold as ag lime or under a brand name?

10. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    We use Oyster shell flour, about $5 per 50# bag at the feed store, $10 at the Organic garden store... same stuff.
    And ventilation when it's warm enough.
    Wish I could catch some of this water for the Summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by