O the SMELL!

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
So, it warmed up here in the Frozen North to a whopping 30 degrees F over this past weekend. This was a mixed blessing... the chooks got some outside time, but the coop thawed slightly... and now it reeks in there... but its cooling off again fast and I dont fancy shovelling the coop out in 10 degrees. So, what can I use to control the smell that is safe for the birds until its warm enough for me to get out there and clean it out?

I use StallDry with pretty good success. It's usually sold along with horse items, as it's original purpose is for freshening stalls I suppose. It's made using clay and Diatomaceous Earth. I've read of others here on BYC using it as well with good results.

Quote:
In keeping with Birdaholic's suggestion, just keep piling a layer of pine shavings each day to cover each day's worth of poo?

I can relate..we are up to 50s..had 24 hrs. of steady rain..what a stinking mess..I think sand is going to be my plan this weekend..in the run..the house ?..I'm afraid if I keep adding shavings and they keep adding clay/mud..I will never get it out!!....but i did get my first egg of this year today!!..beautiful blue/green..after 3-4 mo.s of nothing!

We use Oyster shell flour, about $5 per 50# bag at the feed store, $10 at the Organic garden store... same stuff.
And ventilation when it's warm enough.
Wish I could catch some of this water for the Summer.

Back
Top Bottom