O0Oo0o0O0O I waited too long

CollegeChicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
So although I did just buy some chicks from local Agway ( cochins and jersey giants ) I planned on ordering 6 more chicks online because I wanted specific breeds. (I only want pullets) The breeds/types I was looking for were blue cochin, white Sultan, Mottled cochin, black silkie , white crested black polish and buff laced polish. Essentially everyone single one of those breeds are sold out from all the GO-TO hatcheries. I have tried Meyers, McMurrays, MyPetChicken and many other more small scale business type hatcheries. Im so disappointed. Im hoping my buddy at agway can pull some strings and help me get at least SOME OF THOSE LOL. Aside from the chicks i just purchased I currently have a partridge cochin (5yohen) a white silkie (2yohen who just adopted my new chicks, silkies are awesome lol ) and my gorgeous little Millie Fleur D'Uccle hen . Any other hatcheries that let you order only 6 chicks and might have those breeds???

Last edited:
Maybe not too late. How about contacting the parent Club of the breeds. Look for breeders close enough to you to drive too. esp. Cochin. In the Fall many breeders will be thinning their flocks for overwintering. You could probably pick up started birds from them. That would redeem the time you lost by not raising the chicks and get all of them laying next Spring. Another thing you can do is look for a huge poultry show near you. They usually have a sales area where you could maybe pick up your breeds. Or contact a breeder who has a breed you want and arrange to meet them for buying stock at a show near you where they will be showing. Quarantine and birds you bring in from the outside from your own flock for one month.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom