oak leaves and chickens

FlyWheel

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 19, 2016
35.111165 -81.226586
My Coop
My Coop
My seven oak trees are well into their Autumn molting season and I have a couple questions. First, I collect rain for their drinking water, and because of the large amount of leaves falling on the pen roof their water is turning into oak tea. Is this in any way harmful to them?
Second, I usually empty the lawn-vac by their pen (their run is actually built upon mulched oak leaves). Are there any bugs and or worms that really like and would be prolific in a pile of chopped oak leaves (preferably some I could find at a bait store or TSC)? I'm thinking I could seed the pile and let them work on the leaves and make more of themselves while I build the fenced extension where I can let my ladies "free range" from time to time.

As for the tea water: It would be high in tannins. Not a good situation IMO. Perhaps you could give them well water during "oak molting season".

Leaves: awesome addition to the run. High in tannins as well, but IMO not a problem as bedding. The pile will be populated with plenty of insects and worms from your soil. Those macro-organisms, and even the micro-organisms will be most active where the leaves meet the soil. You should see evidence of their activity b/c the soil will be black and humousy at that level. There was an interesting video by a fellow about a year or so ago. He kept a huge compost bin full of leaves near his chicken yard. Every now and then, he'd dump some grain seed into the leaves. The grains would sprout, resulting in wonderful foraging for his chickens as they worked the pile and added their steamy nuggets to the mix.

Stay away from the oak tea water. Always provide a fresh source of water for them. My flock plays in oak leaves all the time with no problem.

Thanks, I have been filling their buckets with water from the hose (we're on a well), and I am redesigning the pen roof so hopefully the leaves will get washed off instead of piling up and forming puddles on the roof to steep in. One more thing on the chicken list.

Back
Top Bottom