Oatmeal and bananas on a cold winter day

walkerkm

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Ma
Gave the girls some warm oatmeal and bananas today for an lunch snack. They loved it!

here's a few photos of them enjoying their warm treat and with oatmeal all over their face...better than egg...lol
smile.png

37262_oatmeal_6.jpg

37262_oatmeal.jpg

That's really nice of you to do that for them.It really helps them in cold weather,and it looks cold there! That's a good breakfast for humans too! Take care.

Great picture!! Mine get warm oatmeal in the morning when I first check on them. It is really cold here and thet seem to love it. I mix 'stuff' in with the oatmeal too. Sometimes mashed banana, raisins, leftover veggies etc. This morning it looked funky - oatmeal with cooked peas, some BOSS, and some broken crackers. They ate it all. The other day I mixed pureed pumpkin in the oatmeal. They loved it but splattered orange all over. Piglets!!

It was so cold today that I made them warm oatmeal with pumpkin seeds and sliced almonds. They left all the pumpkin seeds. I must have the only chickens that won't eat them!
idunno.gif

Thanks for those cute pictures of your girls enjoying their lunch
smile.png

Our girls love their cold morning hot oatmeal breakfast too. All fifteen scramble up to the feeder (I use the bottom saucer of a large terracotta pot for their "dish") and trade turns, flipping goop off their beaks onto the backs of all the sisters. I mix in what ever veggie, scrap, compost bound stuff I have from the day before and they process it all. My question to the oatmealers: what is your source of oatmeal? It's looking like a long cold winter here so I see myself cooking their breakfast for several months. I've been buying the largest cylinder of generic brand quick oats I can find, but I'd like to find a larger quantity at a very good price. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if it's available somewhere in 25 pound sacks, for example. Thanks ~G

Back
Top Bottom