1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oatmeal and bananas on a cold winter day

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by walkerkm, Dec 12, 2009.

1. walkerkm

walkerkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    Gave the girls some warm oatmeal and bananas today for an lunch snack. They loved it!

here's a few photos of them enjoying their warm treat and with oatmeal all over their face...better than egg...lol [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    That's really nice of you to do that for them.It really helps them in cold weather,and it looks cold there! That's a good breakfast for humans too! Take care.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I hate oatmeal..but I am going to buy some for my girls!

4. joerobscatfarm

joerobscatfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Landenberg, PA
    Funny! That was the morning treat I made for my hens! The quickly ate it all up.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Great picture!! Mine get warm oatmeal in the morning when I first check on them. It is really cold here and thet seem to love it. I mix 'stuff' in with the oatmeal too. Sometimes mashed banana, raisins, leftover veggies etc. This morning it looked funky - oatmeal with cooked peas, some BOSS, and some broken crackers. They ate it all. The other day I mixed pureed pumpkin in the oatmeal. They loved it but splattered orange all over. Piglets!!

6. CESOrtega

CESOrtega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    I've been making mine oatmeal mixed with strawberry yogurt. They dive in face first.

7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    It was so cold today that I made them warm oatmeal with pumpkin seeds and sliced almonds. They left all the pumpkin seeds. I must have the only chickens that won't eat them! [​IMG]

Thanks for those cute pictures of your girls enjoying their lunch [​IMG]

8. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Awww, now I can't wait for the morning. I'm going to make that too! Thanks for the idea.

9. I gave my chickens some this morning and they loved it!! [​IMG]

Matthew

10. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    Our girls love their cold morning hot oatmeal breakfast too. All fifteen scramble up to the feeder (I use the bottom saucer of a large terracotta pot for their "dish") and trade turns, flipping goop off their beaks onto the backs of all the sisters. I mix in what ever veggie, scrap, compost bound stuff I have from the day before and they process it all. My question to the oatmealers: what is your source of oatmeal? It's looking like a long cold winter here so I see myself cooking their breakfast for several months. I've been buying the largest cylinder of generic brand quick oats I can find, but I'd like to find a larger quantity at a very good price. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if it's available somewhere in 25 pound sacks, for example. Thanks ~G

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by