Oatmeal WOW!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redstarbill, Jan 6, 2009.

1. redstarbill

redstarbill Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    I made up a batch of oatmeal mixed with scratch grains today for the girls. and boy did they go crazy for it!! It was funny to watch them go at it, there faces were covered in oatmeal. I'll be doing this more often on cold mornings as a treat. [​IMG]

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Add some milk for extra calcium, add carrots chopped up, bananas... anything really...
    Mine love it too! I make the serving for 6, give some to the cats and kittens and a couple bowls for the birds//./
    Christina

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I was debating on doing this today, I guess I will do this tomorrow as were supposed to be snowy and icy.

4. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    lol my dad doesn't like me wasting his oatmeal so instead i get some chicken food, put it in a bowl, add some warm water and VIOLA!!! You got yourself some hot tasty chicken scratch-meal that my chickens absolutely love more than anything else [​IMG]

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Put a little extra virgin olive oil in the oatmeal and watch their combs turn bright red. They love it.

6. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:does that really do that?!

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:does that really do that?!

Cynthia (Speckled Hen) told me to try it and it worked here.

8. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    Quote:Wow, cool idea! THANKS!

I got a waffle iron for Christmas and my husband wants waffles almost every day now, so I make enough batter so that I can give the hens some waffles too. My husband is appalled, but it is so fun to see how much they love it! One day I let the waffles sit in the leftover bacon grease before I fed them, and I thought they were going to pass out from the ecstasy of waffles soaked in bacon grease. Maybe I need to put some of my husband's Lipitor in their water tho........ [​IMG]

9. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    lol. lipitor.

I can't wait to have fun with my chicks.

10. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I put all kinds of stuff in my girls oatmeal they love it. My hens seem to give me more and larger eggs on the days they have warm oatmeal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by