oatmeal????????????/

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by troutlakearts, Apr 25, 2009.

1. troutlakearts

troutlakearts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    leesburg
    I have read here that people feed their chickens oatmeal.
    Why? And is it cooked or raw and what kind of oatmeal:/

2. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I know alot of people feed oatmeal as a treat and serve it cooked. Hope this helps.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I feed it warm in the wintertime as a treat and to help them stay warm.

4. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Yep, Ours get it everyday. I know that is why they all lay an egg every single day (and once in awhile two). Instant oatmeal isn't great for chickens, but we make them slow cooked organic whole oats with brown rice, quinoa, chickpeas, flax seed, cranberries, raisins, almonds, currents, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, sunflower seeds, egg shell, soymilk, and olive oil. We also give then homesoup sometimes too [​IMG] If we ever go out to the coop without their oatmeal, we don't hear the end of it! They are very spoiled [​IMG] Some people think it is crazy that we feed them so well, but they give back to us by laying the tastiest eggs ever and they lay twice as well as most chickens [​IMG]

5. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I buy a lot of the old fashioned oatmeal and toss a handful out to them dry once a day. They love it.

6. redlawyer

redlawyer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    I also toss some dry oatmeal to the girls. They go crazy for it and spend most of the morning scratching in the shavings for more. They will even eat the oatmeal out of the kids' hands.

7. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    I will throw them some flat oats and barley at times when I'm feeding the horses.

I did the warming the oats up for them in water....for a minute...and then I came to my senses... [​IMG]

Just not something I choose to do.

8. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    I feed mine cooked steel-cut oats..they love them..

9. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I occasionally feed mine cooked oatmeal with DE mixed in.

10. Mr_Jeff

Mr_Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Durand, MI
    Leftover oatmeal at my house goes to the chickens. I figure they most likely get the same benefits we do from it. Protein, fat, carbs, soluble fiber, vitamins and minerals. They love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by