Oatmeal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickadde, Jun 30, 2011.

1. chickadde

chickadde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Will it hurt my chickens if I feed them dry oats? I was making oatmeal cookies yesterday and thought the oats might make a nice treat for my chickens.[​IMG]

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Oats are good and your chickens will love them.

3. chickadde

chickadde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Thank you for letting me know, my chickens will have a treat today!

4. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I just came across this and hoped that oats wouldn't hurt them since that seems to be a favorite treat of our chickens.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They also loved cooked oats--mine probably like them better. They also loved cooked barley. We're talking feeding frenzy for either one.

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I have been known to make a "homemade scratch" with cracked corn, dried oats, millet, and flax seed. I will make the same mixture but cook it with a little quinoa and add plain yogurt to it when it's cold outside. It warms them up from the inside & they love it!

Also, a local grocer has corn on the cobb for 20 cents an ear. My chickens KNOW what it is when I am in the yard and start shucking off corn husks... they know what's coming and come gathering around like I'm their benevolent queen. LOL.

7. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I have rolled oats that I put in my pig's food as a treat, but I occasionally soak them in some water for a few hours and then sprinkle them around for the chickens - can you say chickie-heaven! [​IMG]

8. gd4sumthnmom

gd4sumthnmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    The feed store was closed when I went to town the other day and my mother in law told me to feed them dry oats...They couldn't get enough, they just loved them!

9. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    I feed mine oats every morning,,,cooked.Good god stand back!!!! 9 chickens and its a free for all!!! They are in great shape[other than getting big] and love them.If I don't give them oats they look at me like "what did I do??" haha!!! Kevin

10. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    The oats are good but they can digest them more easily and get more nutrition from them if they are cooked. I throw mine in a disposable pan(free) throw in microwave for 1 min add aliittle milk and sugar(yes they are spoiled) and they eat it like they can't get enough. Since I got my baby chicks, I have to put oot 2 pans... 1 for the big girls and 1 for the babies. Really great in the winter , too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by