Oatmeal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TEXASSCENT, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TEXASSCENT

TEXASSCENT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    On Especially Cold Days I Give My Chick-ladies Hot Oatmeal. Is This Ok And Should I Do It Often?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] It won't hurt them. And they will greatly appreciate it. I feed mine oatmeal and rice on cold days. To warm them up a little. The poor babies.

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

We do occasionally. Mix a little cayenne pepper in with it.

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I just did!

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Whole Oats would be much better.

Nothing wrong with the oatmeal except that (1) it is way to expensive for chicken feed and (2) it has lost most of it's nutritional content through the mill and age.
    Whole Oats retain there nutritional content longer.... as does any whole grain.
    Whole grains are always the way to go over milled or cracked feed when you can get them.

I pay $9 for a 50 lb bag of Whole Oats.

6. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I really should buy oatmeal by the ton. My girls love it! Cooked on a cold day or raw out of carton, doesn't matter. Next to tomatoes and cantaloupe, it's their favorite treat. Whole grain is better than the quick oats. [​IMG]

7. chesapeakechickens

chesapeakechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Suburban Maryland
    ...maybe a dumb question, but where do you buy whole grain oatmeal, is it also fit for human consumption, and what are the bag size options?

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I give mine DRY, old fashioned oat meal for treats. The cheap brand without any added salt. I have never cooked oatmeal for my flock. I feel so .... mean.

But it's great for hand-feeding. I also toss some for the shyer birds with lower rank, because the Very Important Flock Members won't let them close.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I agree I was feeding them store bought but after reading your comment I bought 50 pounds it cost around 13 bucks. Feed prices fluctuate daily . Its good stuff on cold morning it was 11 % protein.

10. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Every Monday and Thursday I make oatmeal for breakfast - the long cooking kind. I make an extra serving for the chickens. . . add some seeds and raisins to the oatmeal and my chickens L-O-V-E it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by