Oatmeal?

ChickensXOXO

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
The Carolinas
I have some (uncooked) Original Quaker Instant Oatmeal that I was going to throw out, but then I got thinking, I have so much of it, it would make a nice meal for the chickens. Is that okay for them? It seems like it would be fine to me, but I just wanted to get the a-okay.

Like I said, it's the plain original. What if it had other stuff in it? I normally eat the brown sugar, and I have a couple of those I'm going to throw out too.

Thanks!!

I would totally give it to them. Mine will mob me for oatmeal.
If it has a lot of sugars in it I would give it very sparingly.
Mine really like cheerios too.

Thanks, I gave some to my Silkies this morning, and I'm not sure they knew what to do with it.
I'm going to go back out a little later and see if they ever figured it out!

How about cooked Malt O Meal? I was eating some for dinner last night (yeah, I was being lazy) and thought - ya know, I wonder if chicks would like this in cold weather -

Mine LOVE oatmeal!
ya.gif
I mix plain oatmeal with chopped fresh spinach and some old plain yogurt. ( I buy the yogurt on sale cheap when the grocer puts it on clearance because of its date) I think other than watermelon in the summertime it is their fav treat!

Some of my silkies aren't the smartest when it comes to treats. They are never the first to run to me for goodies, or the first to test out things I set down in dishes. One of my girls can hardly see where anything is, so I usually bring it directly to her. If I had a separate flock of silkies, I wouldn't worry so much about it. Right now the quicker ones gobble everything up before the silkies have a chance.

For the first oatmeal treat time, I sprinkled some of their already-loved treats on top. It gets them to investigate. When I first introduced yoghurt, they all wanted nothing to do with it. I was confused.. I thought chickens LOVED yoghurt! Once I sprinkled scratch on top, they devoured it. I don't have to add anything on top now :)

Back
Top Bottom