Oatmeal

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Aug 25, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I read that cooked oatmeal can be a good treat. I make oatmeal for myself pretty regularly and wouldn't mind sharing a little. [​IMG] But was curious about the salt issue. When I make the quick oats I do add a dash of salt to help in the cooking. I know salt is bad but would that little cooked into oatmeal matter? Don't want to try it until I know I won't be hurting them.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm, I don't know I usually give my hens dry oatmeal. Sometimes when I run out of chicken feed and don't have time to buy more I give them oatmeal.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    Ive given them uncooked oatmeal.....right from the container....never thought about cooking it.

4. pbarr86

pbarr86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Holliston, MA
    If you use the quick oats just make them a quick batch without the salt, I have made my troops oatmeal a couple times this week and they tear it up... [​IMG]

5. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I know it's been awhile for this thread but I have a piggy back question please. I give warm oatmeal at night when temps drop but wondered about consistency. Tonight's batch was a little thick and the girls had to keep wiping their beaks in the ground or eat it off each others beaks. Is that a sign it is too thick (choke hazard) and I should make it a little waterier or just normal chicken behavior like when we use a napkin lol? Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Its normal. I'm sure they enjoyed their oatmeal no matter the consistency [​IMG]

7. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Thank you for the reassurance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by