Oats and feed question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcamefirst, Jun 10, 2011.

1. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    I keep seeing posts where people are feeding chicks dry oatmeal or something, what is it and where can I get it?

Also I ran out of my starter bag of medicated feed and I bought a new bag of starter/grower that is non-medicated, I assume its ok to switch? Should I start Provisol in the water to compensate?

2. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    were your chicks vaccinated?

3. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I use dry quick oats, b/c it is chopped up smaller and it easier for the little ones to eat. You can find it in any grocery store cereal aisle. I just buy the Walmart brand in the huge tub.

4. eggcamefirst

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Dry quick oats, as in if you add water you get oatmeal?

I don't know if the chicks were vaccinated or not....

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The medicated feed is to build up an immunity to cocci, which is everywhere. Not sure how old your chicks are. Some chicks are fine without it.

I feed dry rolled oats. I make sure they have grit to grind up the oats.

6. eggcamefirst

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    So I should continue with medicated or at 2.5 weeks are they ok to switch?

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    If it were me, I'd go out and get a bag of medicated and save the unmedicated for later when the chicks are older. There are a lot of people who do not feed medicated. I personally would not want a coccidais(sp) outbreak in my flock. It's devastating and has a high mortality rate.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. Most feed stores sell rolled oats (oatmeal) and regular oats. I have given my birds both. regular oats are about half of the price of rolled oats. I mix the oats with scratch and sunflower seed and give it to them as treats. I also have a bowl of grit available to my chicks. I buy chick grit at Tractor Supply. When they have run out I have sifted my regular grit and given them the sifted grit. They need it in their gizzards to grind their food. [​IMG]

9. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Quote:Yup! I only have a few birds that eat it, so I just buy the stuff from the grocery store. I also don't have anywhere to store large amounts of it. A big container of it lasts me at least a couple weeks, if not more. I don't feed it everyday.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Sometimes I don't always think things through to well. I buy everything in 50# bags. I keep my grain in metal trash cans with lids, but I have over 100 birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by