oats & wheat & sunflowers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Vickir73, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    I would like to begin preparing ground on our property (15 acreas; however, my garden size will probably be 1 acrea or so) to plant oats & wheats & sunflowers and other goodies for the flock. Anyone recommendations from where I can order seeds and anything else I can plant? The fenced run is pretty sandy, hard dirt (I could till if needed), but the largest run and the rest of the area is nice and dark and soily [​IMG] The sunflowers will be planted furhter away from the chickens and I'll just store them once they mature, but I'm assuming I'll need to plant the oat and wheat outside of the run? I'm sure they'll get to the sprouts eventually [​IMG] Just trying to start making as much stuff for them as possible compaired to buying it.

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Anything you plant in the run will be eaten before it can two inches high. Something big might can be transplanted but they will probally eat it fast. I got some ideas out of Mother Earth news about food to grow for chickens.

3. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Comfrey! They love it and it's grrreat for them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by