oats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BRYAN662, Apr 6, 2009.

1. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    can chickens eat strait oats? is it good for them?

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I soak crimped oats in water and feed them a scoop at a time. They love it. I have never given straight oats. You do mean the oat without any outer shell?

3. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    well i farm and i grew some oats and stored them for the horses. i wanted to feed it to thed chicks to help with feed cost

4. FarmGirl01

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I can't believe someone else didn't reply.

5. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    I give mine oats (with shell) once in a while for a treat, and they LOVE them! No ill effects as of yet, don't think it could possibly hurt them.

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I just bought some whole oats for the purpose of reducing feed cost. What is meant by crimped oats? My chickens are eating the oats but I think I will try chopping it up a bit in the blender to make it easier to eat.

7. FarmGirl01

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I think crimped oat are run thru a machine that breaks the outer shell. It makes is easier to digest. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Its been awhile since I took crop science.

8. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    We buy steamed crimped oats for the girls (the horses get some, too)- it isn't as popular as the sunflower seeds or the yogurt, but they like them. I would think whole oats are fine- a gizzard is more efficient than a stomach at breaking the husk apart, I would think.

9. chickenkate

chickenkate Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    East coast
    Plain oats should be fine... they ARE a grain, and there are many grains in chicken scratches and feeds.[​IMG]

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put plain oats in my scratch mix. They like it just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by