Oats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bee_wrangler, Jan 19, 2010.

1. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Is it ok to give organic oats to the chickens for a treat? the oats are still in the husk

2. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't see why not. They'd be foraging for them in that state in the wild, and their crop grinds the stuff up. We've given ours the crimped oats for horses and they've loved them.

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Yep mine love oats.
    Give them dried and sprouted.
    Only around 12% protein so, make sure they getting high enough protein in their diet.
    Most pre mixed feeds contain some oats, maybe around 15%
    ON

4. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    My guy bought a 50 pound sack of whole oats by accident. Luckily, the chickens don't mind the husks one bit! I feed it to them as scratch. I am going to try sprouting it too!

5. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks for the replies! I didn't think it would be bad to give them, put wanted to make shure. I would hate to make my girls sick. I think I will try sprouting it too, some greens for them for winter

6. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Oats are good. I give them some as a treat, like scratch. I like the kind of real weight it can put on a bird. Be careful not to overfeed on oats though because it can cause a bird to go into a molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by