1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yotetrapper, Jun 8, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I read the post on corn, and now am curious about oats and chickens. All I have available here for grains are corn and oats, no wheat. I have been feeding my chickens a 33% mix of corn/oats/layer mash.

2. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I would not mix the food that way. They should have straight layer in front of them all the time and use the corn, oats, or other grain in small amounts as a treat.

Donna

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* hey! I "diluted" Chook's treat with 1 lb. of scotch oats for the summer. To date all I have noticed is that her eggs are slightly smaller and the whites are somewhat weightier or denser. Neither of these bother me, b/c she is straining less to lay in the heat. Her 'treat' is usually 3 lbs. scratch and 2 lbs wild bird with boss. She gets roughly 3 coffee measures full over a day. This is besides regular layer feed.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  4. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    How come you wouldnt mix like that? They've been on that for 3 years and most lay an egg everyday from spring to fall.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Most of the time there is a concern that when adding in treat grains the hen's will pick out the treat portion and not get the nutrient density they should long-term, yotetrapper.

6. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Oh well I guess mine are ok because they eat ALL of their food before they get any more. Is that the only reason?

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Far as I know!!!

8. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    I use oats to control the growth of my young pullets (don't want them growing up to fast), and to keep my layers from getting fat. recently I had some bantams who stopped laying, come to find out they were fat. So I fed them 2 parts layer and 1 part oats and what do you know I got 3 eggs yesterday!

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My chickens love oats and wheat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by