Obama , try to stop execution of Killer of 16 yr old girl

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by deerman, Jul 8, 2011.

1. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Read up on what this guy did to this 16 yr old....Texas knows how to deal with child killers

Humberto Leal Garcia Jr., a Mexican national convicted of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl in 1994, was executed by lethal injection Thursday evening in Texas.

The case's flurry of legal appeals and pleas for clemency were prompted by an international dispute over the rights of the foreign-born on American death rows.

The Supreme Court earlier denied a stay of execution for the convicted killer, despite opposition from the Obama administration and the Mexican government.

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Rumor has it, on Texasjustice.org, that he claimed innocence for the last 15 years. But his final words were a confession.

3. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes he did confess just before he was put to death.........the poor girl didn't have a easy death that he got. [​IMG]

4. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Obama was trying to hold up a treaty we have with Mexico. It states that a Mexican national is entitled to speak to the Mexican consulate prior to a trial. It is a reciprocal agreement and was put in place by the Bush administration. So in other words it protects our citizens from possible illegal prosecution in Mexico. Obama was trying to protect the treaty in order to protect our citizens. Per the Constitution treaties with other countries are not breakable from our end unless the other country involved agrees to it.

Wouldn't it suck to be POTUS? Just can't be right even when you are right. The man would have had a retrial and probably would have had the same outcome. Just another anti Obama bandwagon to ride on. No tears shed by me for the guy. Sounds pretty bad what he did.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yes, I was just going to say this. He wasn't trying to save the guy to be nice, or because he thought he was innocent, but because the guy never got to speak to a Mexican consulate prior to trial. Guilty or not, he should have been afforded that right.

6. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    He had the right to speak to the consulate, and it was his lawyer's duty to point that out. But the crime and the conviction occurred before the Bush administration made that agreement. I doubt the consulate could do any thing to change the situation.

The fellow had lived almost of of his life in the US. His connection with Mexico was very slight.

There has not been a legal execution in Mexico since 1961. But that is another story.

His big mistake was in murdering and raping. I suspect the world is better off without him.

Rufus

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yes, I don't disagree with anything you said. I'm only pointing out that this isn't something to hold against Obama. He's just trying to abide by a technicality. I'm sure it would not have changed anything.

8. Dunkopf

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I agree Rufus. The world wasn't better for his presence. If they're going to have capital punishment they should make it more cost effective. Death row and all the appeals before the execution occurs are usually more expensive than life in the general population.

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The Supreme Court earlier denied a stay of execution for the convicted killer, despite opposition from the Obama administration and the Mexican government.

The supreme court had this taken care of.....good thing Obama didn't have control....this guy need executed......this was before the treaty..he has just been setting on death roll for 15 years.

10. Dunkopf

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:Why would Obama have control? The decision was strictly up to Rick Perry. Obama was just trying to get a stay of execution because that's what the federal government is supposed to do. Rick Perry would never do it because it would look bad for him and would hurt his political career. In addition the guy was a Mexican national. He would have been executed eventually regardless. Obama was doing whats legally correct. perry was doing what was politically correct for him. Both courses of action would have had the same outcome. Just talk show fodder really.

Hopefully Perry will give the money he saved to his school system.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by